Saxophone Forum

by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
(48 posts)
18 years ago

What is improvising?

okay okay. i know stupid question!!! but i need help. I am going into Jazz this year for the first time and i want to know all that i can. I play bari sax and i need help on this. any ways when you play in a band i thought that you where supposed to just follow your music. HELP PLEASE. and anyways how do you improvise????????

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What is improvising?

Baris don't get so many chances to solo/improvise in jazz bands (compared to altos & tenors), so I wouldn't worry about it too much -- you'll mainly be expected to play written parts. On the other hand, if you're a good Bari player and you *want* to solo, a good director will give you the opportunity. There are lots of theories about how to improvise, but in my opinion the way to get started is to 'play around' with melodies that you know well. Just play whatever comes to mind or wherever your fingers 'want' to go. Eventually you'll get a feel for how far away you can get from the original melody before it doesn't sound good any more. The more you try the better you'll get!

Reply To Post

2. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

This is deja vu.... There's a discussion that is about this same thing. You might want to look it up.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

my director already cued me, on bari, to improv. I had no idea what I was doing, there were no chord changes written in and it was just blank space in which the soloist just plays. So don't "Fries" like I did (My director's name is Mr. Fries, which is pronounced the same way as Freeze.). Just relax and just play simple rhythms that sound good.

Reply To Post

1. by JeremyA
        (28 posts)

18 years ago

Baris don't often get a lot of solos. Most charts are written with a solo in the tenor 1, trumpet 2, or alto 1 part. That's half the reason I play first tenor. Improv is what makes jazz unique from other forms of music and almost everyone is bad at it when they start out. A guy I took lessons with said that in order to get better at improv you have to know what jazz is. In other words you should listen to as much jazz as possible. Improv takes time to get good at. I think Jamey Aebersold has some CDs that have a rhythm section playing chord changes. They are excellent tools to improve your improv. Just keep trying at it. You'll get eventually.

Reply To Post

2. by saxman0317
      (53 posts)

18 years ago

Well, first off,learn your chords and chord stucture somewhat. Start with a simple b flat blues and your mixolydians. Get Maiden Voyage be jamie Abersold, greaet book and it will help alot with progressions and such. If you can, try to be able to pick up chords by ear, then you wont need to worry about reading them, not having them, and its eaier to get back in if u get lost. If your school has a music theory class, this is a great place to learn all of this stuff, and get credit for it. But most of all, mak sure that you mak it known that you want to solo. In rehersals, if the director asks for soloists, dont not stand up and play because you dont think your good enough yet or what not, just get up and do it. The only way to learn to solo is to stand up in front of people and do it. I remember my first time was in front of judges at a jazz fest our school went to a few years back... Follow the music alittle to. For the first couple times, you can usully get away with just follow the key signiture and not worrying about changes, and try to incorperate some of the licks from the song into your solo, it will tie everything together alittle bit more and make it easier to come up with stuff when your new at it. Also, the best thingthat you can do, is LISTEN TO THE PROS!! Go out right now, and find all the sax players you can, and just listen to them, for hours, youll get great ideas, and inspiration...and then tie urself into your music..remember that music is from the soul, and soloing if done righjt will reflect that

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Geronimo
      (12 posts)

18 years ago

"master your instrument, master the music, then forget all that shit and just play.." - charlie parker

Reply To Post

1. by jing24
        (31 posts)

18 years ago

improv for bari is seldomly done in high school so you might want to stick with your alto and the easiest way to do it is do the blues scale if you don't know the blues scale look it up on the web.

Reply To Post

1. by Mlenox
          (36 posts)

18 years ago

If you are in school and you want to learn how to improvise, ask you teacher! I mean still come here and post and read posts. This is all good advice. But take advantage of your director.

Reply To Post