Saxophone Forum

by KadriGopalnathFan
(1 post)
18 years ago

Greetings from a newbie!

Dear friends, I am Surya Batchu and I wanted to introduce myself to all my saxophone friends here in the forum. I have always dreamt of playing Indian classical musing using a saxophone, hence my user name based on the Indian classical saxophone genius Kadri Gopalnath. I am planning on buying a student sax. My budget is not much, maybe a couple hundreds as a stretch, but I want to buy a good one, as this would set the foundation. My questions are as follows: 1) People say its better to start with an Alto and not a tenor or soprano or any of those, how true is that? If so why? 2) My next question is which alto saxophone, if thats the right first student sax, is best for me? I have never played musing before and don't even know any classical music, just a burning desire. Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Sincerely, Sunny.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Greetings from a newbie!

Welcome! I started on tenor, so I can't advise you to start on alto. Both alto and tenor (I believe) are good for starting--however, tenor will often be more expensive, as it's bigger! Do not start on soprano, as it is much more difficult to produce proper intonation on the soprano. My advice would be to start with Connsaxman_Jim's list of approved saxophones, if you can find that list... Maybe Jim will pull it up for you. You can email him. With your price range, you may need to go with a used horn on ebay, but be careful, they don't always work. Make sure there is a return policy, just in case. DO NOT buy a new one for under $500. Those are often of questionable quality, and the experience of most on this forum says to stay away from them.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Greetings from a newbie!

I would say I know alot of people start on bundy horns by selmer They really arent that bad and you can get them really cheap although there are plenty more horns like it alto saxophone gets alot of the classical parts written for it if thats what you wanted to know

Reply To Post