Saxophone Forum

by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Alto?Tenor?Bari?

I am going to take a poll just out of bordom. My question is "what type of sax do you play?" and if you play more than one what is your favorite?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by straightj23
    (103 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Alto?Tenor?Bari?

classical alto and pop music/jazz tenor is what I do. i did play baritone back in middle school. i enjoy all three. i am also thinking about trying soprano.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

1970 selmer bundy tenor 1962 vito vsp 1921 trutone stencil 350gl winston soprano 1922 conn new wonder c melody, not done yet 1920's jean bouchet clarinet favorite to play, clarinet i think i sound best on the alto

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

18 years ago

i play the full quartet (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari) My favorite has to be the bari. Followed by soprano, tenor, and then alto. Even though the alto is at the bottom of the list, I still don't not like to play it. It was my first sax and I will never give it away.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh yeah, I just started playing tenor on thursday, and I love it!

Reply To Post

4. by saxman571
    (1 post)

18 years ago

I play on a Kielworth Alto, but I really love playing my Yamaha 6200 Series Bari!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I play soprano, alto, tenor and baritone. I probably enjoy tenor the most. Vintage Conns are my favorite. My old Conn C melody is also a lot of fun to play. It plays so easy.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

I've never played a C-melody sax before. My private instructor sold BOTH of his because he said they had a horrible tone. I have seen one of course. A King whch I dated to around 1917 I believe. It was in dire need of repair. Luckily no one was playing it, an art student in my school was using it as a model for a drawing she was doing.

Reply To Post

2. by TONY HOLLY
      (10 posts)

18 years ago

I play tenor. It's all I've ever played, and for a very long time too. But then I am the proud owner of a '59 MKVI and she's an absolute beaut. Bought it new in Paris for 75 British pounds....don't know what the dollar was at that time.

Reply To Post

3. by KingNecron
      (76 posts)

18 years ago

I play tenor sax, pretty much exclusively. Tenor is my favorite, needless to say. It puts the others to shame. Alto? Feh! Bari? Eh, okay. Tenor? AWESOME.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by SaxyQue
      (13 posts)

18 years ago

I'm new here. My first post. I am 20. My main instrument since I started back in 5th grade is the saxophone. Over the years I've just picked them all up. My main I say is the Beri. Sax. I played it for most of everything for a solid 6 years. For jazz, or even symphonic bands. Uh, I currently own two alto saxophones, a wide lip Selmer Tenor, and I just purchased not a week ago a Yamaha Saprano. But not to stop there... I also play the Keyboards and guitar, marched in HS the sousaphone for 3 yrs... and picked up the French horn and Oboe.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Just tenor so far, but eventually I'd love to have all four of the common ones. I'm probably going to be getting an alto for my daughter pretty soon (she already plays oboe and a little flute, kbds), and there's no doubt she's gonna have to share! In terms of favorites (by sound, not neccessarily playing), I'd put them in this order: tenor, bari, alto, sop.

Reply To Post

1. by JeremyA
        (28 posts)

18 years ago

I have played tenor, bari, c melody, soprano, and alto. Tenor has always been my first love. I just love the way it sounds. That deep husky tenor sound is just absolutely beautiful. Bari and alto are tied for second, but tenor is what I play the most.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

Dude why does every one play tenor? I hate the tenor. I play bari and it is okay. I agree with the other person that alto is my least fav. and for the person that just startd(sorry i foregot everyones name)keep going the sax is awesome to play!!!!=)

Reply To Post

1. by JeremyA
            (28 posts)

18 years ago

How can you hate the tenor and play sax? I could possibly understand you if you did not play sax. There is a senior who plays oboe at our school. All he ever says to me is how much he hates the sax, how much of a pointless instrument it is and why he hates jazz. The ironic thing is that he plays alto in the intermediate jazz band at school. Anyone who plays sax should love the saxophone in its many different forms. The tenor is such a beautiful sounding instrument. It's easy on the ears and has a nice range. And I think saxjunkie89 meant he just started playing tenor in addition to bari, alto, and soprano.

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

18 years ago

I hate to be a party pooper but this thread belongs in general discussion, not jazz saxophone. But on the other hand, you have fingers. My fav's tenor, then soprano, then alto. I used to hate alto, but then I heard Kenny Garrett (NOT KENNETH GORELICK, AKA KENNY G, AND BECAUSE I HAVE MENTIONED THE NAME YOU MUST NOT SPEAK OF HIM IN THE JAZZ SAXOPHONE SECTION. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN THE NIPPLE CRIPPLE OF A LIFE TIME. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED). I dont understand why you hate tenor. but thats ure problem. Sean

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

What Brand and Model?

JeremyA, you're right... Tenor has quickly become higher than the alto, of which I've been playing the longest. I have to ask, what brand and model saxes do you guys play? I play the following: J. Erich straight Soprano Conn 24MHF Alto Selmer Bundy Tenor Yamaha YBS-61 Bari

Reply To Post

4. by JeremyA
            (28 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What Brand and Model?

I have a 1955 Conn 14M director alto which although it is an intermediate horn it plays beautifully. I have a Selmer 1244 tenor (the basic student model). I have had that tenor for seven years, since I started playing in the fifth grade. I use an Otto Link Tone Edge 5* on the alto and an Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* on the tenor and I use Gonzalez regular cut reeds on both of them.

Reply To Post

5. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

since you mentioned mouthpieces: Soprano: Selmer S80 C* Alto: Meyer 5 Hard Rubber Tenor: some plastic thing, (my tenor playing friend's unused mpc, he uses a Selmer of some kind) Bari: Rousseau Classic 4R (Runyon Metal Spoiler model 7 on order from WWBW) Reeds: Soprano: Rico Jazz Select 3H Alto: " " " 3M Tenor: " " " 4M (bari, awesome sound) Bari: same as tenor

Reply To Post

6. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

hmm... quotes didn't work. They are all Rico Jazz Select reeds

Reply To Post

7. by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
            (48 posts)

18 years ago

well now since we are talking about reeds, what is good for a bari playing jazz? I play rico royal #2 1/2. is that good for jazz? is there a certain brand better for jazz?

Reply To Post

8. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

try using what I use, Rico Jazz Select, but with a softer strength, maybe 3M's

Reply To Post

9. by Peepin728
            (17 posts)

18 years ago

Well, since we are all talking about full setups now, I guess I'll share mine. Alto-MarkVI 224xxx ('74) Mouthpieces-Meyer USA (70s) 6M, Custom Bob Ackerman piece (77 tip opening) Ligature-Francois Louis Reeds-Vandoren Java 3 1/2 Tenor-Mark VI 145xxx ('67) Mouthpiece- NY Meyer 6M Ligature-Old Selmer Metal Reeds-Vandoren Java 3 1/2

Reply To Post

10. by Radjammin
            (255 posts)

18 years ago

Why does the oboe player hate sax? because he picked the wrong instrument in beginning band!! Hahaha. Silly Oboe player, Saxophone is the replacement to the oboe and the English horn. Mr. Sax just made your horn better and you didn't even notice. doh! But concerning Tenor vs. alto. I play alto because that's what I have. I would like to buy a Tenor, just no money. That would really be only for jazz as community band playing Tenor is just boring as hell, but I hate Legit Tenor. Worst music ever written. Plus Legit Tenor just sounds bad. Funny house an instrumet can be probably the most signicant Jazz instrument and suck so bad in Legit playing.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

11. by JeremyA
            (28 posts)

18 years ago

the oboe player, to say the least, hates life and everything that is in it. He actually started on alto sax which why it doesn't make sense to me why he hates it so much. maybe if he played his sax more he would be a happier person, but that is his problem. I agree with you classical tenor. It is by far the most ignored instrument in a concert band.

Reply To Post

12. by JimF
            (9 posts)

18 years ago

1973 Selmer Mark VI Tenor.

Reply To Post

13. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

18 years ago

I play a Mark Vl tenor (69) with either a Dufoff D8 metal mouthpiece or a gold King DG. On alto I play a Mark Vl (71) with a NY Meyers 6M. I play Rico select reeds (not handfiled) 2M for tenor and 2H for alto. With my larger mouthpieces I believe the softer reeds are better for me. I have to keep two kinds of saxophones. (alto and tenor) When I get tired of one I go to the other one. Right now the tenor is my favorite......Kelsey
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

14. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

I have a alto and tenor, most of the time I'm on the tenor, however I just found out a few things about my alto. That it actually plays, really well, once a few leaks were fixed. I also found out that my reeds were too hard, so I took a file and made them softer. now it really plays, and it's finally fun! I'm going to get a realbook for it sometime and get more material to play. Yes, I know I can transpose, however most of the songs I like are ones that I really like playing in tenor... and it'd be easier for me just to get all of them then to pick and choose ones. (I'm also lazy)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

15. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

18 years ago

I just buy the real book in C. I play piano,flute, tenor and alto out of the same book. I do have to traspose but it's read up a step for the tenor and down a minor third for alto. Once you have the tune down on any one of the horns anyway, transposition is easier because you already know the tune in at least one key.(you know how the tune goes) I try and practice playing the tunes in all keys anyway. Bird said if you can play the blues in 12 keys you can play anything. I don't know if that's right but what if you could do Giant Steps in 12 keys? What about Cherokee and all of those other chestnuts. I think you could play anything if you had those kind of chops. There is always so much to learn and in Jazz it's hard to ever be bored. Keep working and so will I...............Kelsey
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM