Saxophone Forum

by bluefox413
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Conn 10m case

I recently acquired a 1949 Conn 10m and love it, and this Forum! My question is about the case. It is the original 1949 Conn case, but the interior compartment for accessories has a sloped wall that is parallel to the bell of the sax when stored. I haven't seen this feature on any other vintage Conn or other sax cases, and am wondering if Conn offered special or custom cases? I know this sounds picky, but I have become a Conn fanatic and wish to know everything about my instrument. Thanks for any help! Also, I'm using a Carlsbad Brilhart 5 with a Vandoren 2.5 reed, and love this setup.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn 10m case

I can't really answer your question, but my Conn 16M case has two storage areas. The "accessories" box is rectangular, and has a cover that has a strap with a snap to keep it closed. By the bell is a formed wall that runs parallel to the bell, and curves to the wall. That's where I store the neck.

Reply To Post

1. by bluefox413
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks Sax Mom. Yes, that is like all the cases that I have seen. It is curious that my box with the snap lid has that angled wall for a little extra volume. I guess I'm just wondering if that case signified something extra on the sax as well that I am missing, but it pretty much looks like a normal Conn 10M- which is great.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The original case (I'm assuming it was original, anyways) for my 1948 Conn 10M sounds similar to yours bluefox. It had red velvet interior, and looked exactly like any other Conn case except that the storage area with the snap was a little longer and angled parallel with the bell at the one end. The case was an olive green in color with black leather on the ends.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by bluefox413
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for this information, Jim. Well, yours and mine are the only ones that I've seen anywhere with this feature. Do you think it signifies anything? For instance, did Conn offer in those years some slightly better version of the 10M with its own unique case? Unlikely, I know, but fun to think about. BTW, I love my Brilhart Ebolin 5 (Carlsbad but no serial number) with a Vandoren 2.5 reed on this Conn, as long as I don't push it too far onto the cork. However, I'm going to try the Otto Link STM and NY STM soon per your advice. Also, mine is set up with Prestini pads and Noyek resonators (came that way), but I don't think it sounds too bright- but someday I'll put in the Conn Resopads. I have a stuffy high A that works with a little effort, but I need to check for leaks. Otherwise, what a great great instrument! I also have a 1927 Conn silver soprano that I love. Thanks for the reply. John

Reply To Post