Saxophone Forum

by mexipike
(4 posts)
18 years ago

francois louis mouthpiece

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a Francois Louis wooden mouthpiece anywhere online, or do you have to be Joe Lovano and have a million dollars. just wondering?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxophonistInProgress
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Re: francois louis mouthpiece

Nowadays Francois just listens to a player's ten record.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxophonistInProgress
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Nowadays Francois just listens to a player's ten records, then designs one for you. It will always be a spherical mouthpiece though. And it might look a little weird, but they are the best mouthpieces in the world. 600$ for a silver mouthpiece, 800$ for a wooden mouthpiece. I don't no about the ebony- or any other material- mouthpieces. Oh, and check his ligatures and saxophones out. They are fantastic (in my opinion).

Reply To Post

3. by Bollen
    (39 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah! I believe so! I got as far as getting mr louis fax number. Never replied, after 3 attemps. He requires your presence for at least 2 days at his place, is custom you know, and the pieces go for around 350 euros, I think wood is more expensive. Perhaps you'd be interested in an alternative? Let me know

Reply To Post

1. by claudiopallaro
      (1 post)

16 years ago

Hello, I just saw that you bought a zinner mouthpiece in wood. How do they sound like ? Is it difficult to take of them ? What's their prices ? Thank you for your answer and take care. Claudio Pallaro

Reply To Post

2. by mexipike
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

what kind of alternatives are you talking about, i'm really interested in something similiar to a link but of wood.

Reply To Post

1. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

Well, the piece I've been using for a few years is not exactly like a Link but not far from it, before I used to play a vintage link (silver ones), and it came as a result from trying to get a Louis. They're called Zinner, thay have a great reputation in the states for their blanks and a quite good one for their normal pieces in Europe. You can find them at <a href="www.hans-zinner.de/Produkte/Hans_Zinner_English/Products/Jazz_Mouthpieces/jazz_mouthpieces.html"" target="other">www.hans-zinner.de/Produkte/Hans_Zinner_English/Products/Jazz_Mouthpieces/jazz_mouthpieces.html" target="other">www.hans-zinner.de/Produkte/Hans_Zinner_English/Products/Jazz_Mouthpieces/jazz_mouthpieces.html</a> They are a bit bigger than your average mpc, which opens up your cavity, and they require a lot of attention, wood does not behave like metal or ebonite so you need to break them in for a few months. The best thing about them is the price. Let me know if you need more info about them.

Reply To Post

1. by mexipike
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

thanks for the help, checked out the site, not much info. How much do they go for? Do they have to be ordered from the site or are there other distributors? THanks

Reply To Post

2. by Bollen
          (39 posts)

18 years ago

Well, they go for about 135 euros. I'm afraid they have to be order from hans zinner himself and there is no guarantee for wooden pieces, that's everywhere, but his a friendly chap willing to give you all types of advice. If you do decide to acquire one, let me know, I'll give you some tips that can save you money; my first wooden mpc warped after 4 or 5 months so they need lots of special attention.

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

Friend Woodwindbrasswind has them on sale now for 45.00 check it out Rocco

Reply To Post

3. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry I read Your post wrong, they have the Ligature on sale not the MP, sorry

Reply To Post

4. by Mactenor
        (102 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe you should consider the Lebayle wooden mouthpiece. I have one and it is a quality piece, to be sure. You can get it at Junkdude for around $200 U.S. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

1. by Bollen
          (39 posts)

18 years ago

Hey mctenor; can you tell me a bit more about the lebayle? What opening do you use and what kind of chamber? I heard they have two; jazz and studio. Could you describe the sound a bit, maybe compare it to another piece. Many thanks!

Reply To Post