Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
18 years ago

Mouthpiece guidance....

I need some advice on my moutpiece. I want a bigger jazz sound on my King Zephyr Special. A little raspy, but still clear and controlable. Any advice? I currently use an Otto Link 7, Vandoren Optimum Lig, and Traditional Vandoren 3 reeds. I am in high school so this set up is for both Jazz and concert bands. I need something easier to play on in the concert setting...having trouble being quite and in tune in the lower octave. Any and all help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece guidance....

Look at the runyon Custom. That should be able to take care of your every need!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

for a concert setting get an s-80 from selmer. i would recomend the D opening. for jazz i dont really know, i like the otto link. you may want to try an older ottto link, like the super tone. but that will cost you a ton of money. any try another ligature and jazz reeds. i like the ZZ reeds and use the oleg ligature.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

A Selmer S-80 is probably the worst possible choice for a King Zephyr or and older horn. You'll have intonation problems galore with that mouthpiece! Are you using an Otto Link metal or hard rubber? For tenor, a Super Tone Master metal is the way to go. I would also suggest a Jody Jazz ESP metal. I'm not too familiar with the Runyan pieces like definition mentioned, but you need something with an open chamber. Selmer is just not going to work for you at all.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by toneus
    (4 posts)

18 years ago

Vandoren Reeds are nice and good. But what type are You using? The classical ones? Take a look at the curve of the tip; does it follow your moutpice curve? Vandoren are most times defined for Selmer moutpieces which have a smoother curve. By a La Voz reed and compare. If you're used to VD-3 and have an Otto link 7 try La Voz medium to start. A lighter reed might give more raspy sound. I use Vandoren only in Concert-band. In big-band setting I use La Voz. My horn; A Martin Indian, with a metal Otto Link 6* La Voz medium reeds. Be aware of 1 thing; Don't kill your embrouchure looking for the perfect Jazz-sound. It is not about loose-lips.

Reply To Post