Saxophone Forum

by WillieM96
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Improving sound on a Yamaha Tenor

I currenly have a Yamaha YTS-62 tenor sax and I'm using an Otto Link 5* mouthpiece with Vandoren V16 (4) reeds. I've been trying to improve the sound on this thing for years with little success. My friend (a much more serious musician than I) plays a Mark VI with a Dukoff mouthpiece. I've tried simply swapping his mouthpiece with mine and it doesn't quite do what I want it to do. Are there any suggestions of what I can do (ie new neck) to make my yamaha sound more like a selmer without dropping $7,000?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Improving sound on a Yamaha Tenor

You didn't really describe what it is you don't like about your sound ('not like a Selmer' isn't very descriptive to me, at least), but... I'd try a slightly more open mouthpiece (I like my Vandoren Java T45) with a softer reed (2.5 or 3). That's what I use most on my YTS-82Z.

Reply To Post

1. by WillieM96
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

sorry, forgot to mention the sound issue. My lower register sounds fine. It's when I get to the upper register (above middle C). Worst at high B- I get this harsh, tinny aspect to my tone and I'd like it a lot smoother and fuller. Any ideas?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Try the Otto Link New York metal, They sound really nice on the Yamaha YTS-62

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by bigred
          (43 posts)

18 years ago

I have a 7* NY otto link. Dude just open it up a little, thats all. Piece

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Yamaha YTS 62 Tenor I use as a back up horn for my Mark Vl tenor. I use a Dukoff mouthpiece. Both horns sound very close to the same. I prefer the Selmer but if it's a beach gig the Yamaha goes with me. I think the Yamaha may have a little more edge than the Selmer with the Dukoff mouthpiece. If you bought the Dukoff for the tenor and played it a few weeks you would like it. Try it with Rico select reeds.......Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by GregLauer
          (37 posts)

18 years ago

to fix your tone there is one simple solution.... practice long tones scales arpegios i dont see the need to buy a new mouthpiece untill you decide that the current one can go no further..... i used to think the same thing about my set up and my horn ( if i just get a new mouthpiece or a new horn ill sound sooo much better) but the truth is that i am only lying to myself that money can make me a better player just practice man

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
            (75 posts)

18 years ago

I think I know what you mean. I had a YTS-23 before I bought a new 62 last year so I'm familar with the Yamaha sound which I think is very "bright." I haven't experimented a lot but I recently purchased a Rico Royal Grafonite mouthpiece (A-7) to go with my Eddie Daniels lig and Java reed and I'm getting a nice, full, smooth sound. The Rico is inexpensive, about $16 at wwbw.com and it's a pretty good mpc, at least I think it is.

Reply To Post