Saxophone Forum

by perkysquirel
(26 posts)
18 years ago

I get a buzzing noise when i play

I've played saxophone for a good 4 years and i never relized the buzzing noise until i had to play really quiet for concert band. And so i thought it was my saxophone but i went to the shop and tried multiple saxophones from yas 23s to yas 875 and yangasaki and all sorts and the buzzing noise is still present. I have tried different reed and mouth piece combinations but nothing seems to help. I have a feeling its my embroucher but I have no idea what to do to fix it please help...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by alexeckstein
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I get a buzzing noise when i play

This is a problem I fixed just a few months ago with my playing The cure is you need to support your air with your diaphram When you take a breath, you should feel your stomach and chest expanding fowards. If it is expanding upwards, you are probably sitting incorrectly. Also, try to sit near the front of your chair and lean back.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

No--don't lean back, but be sure not to hunch forward. Sit as straight as possible.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

Does it buzz when you are practiceing by yourself at normal sound levels or just when you have to play super soft for your band director in the concert band? It is very hard to play saxophone as soft as some band directors want. I've even seen directors put mutes in their sax players bells. I was a band director at one time. I liked the full sound of the sax, not the soft buzziness that comes from choking the sound. Sometimes a school band may have too many alto saxes and the entire section is too loud for the band. I used terrace dynamics. That is, only have your first players play a certain soft section. This isn't ideal, but too achieve a balance in a band getting ready for a contest it was nessesary....Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Does this happen when you're sitting and standing? Is the saxophone resting on a chair? Is it vibrating against something else to create the buzz?

Reply To Post

1. by perkysquirel
      (26 posts)

18 years ago

It is actually coming from the mouth piece even though i tried multible ones. It happens sititng and standing

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

Do you find that your mouthpiece is rather wet inside? That can cause odd noises...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Go to the hardware store, or Home Depot and get a can of wasp and hornet spray and spray some inside of your bell. Then, turn your sax upside down and shake out the bees. You may need to run a swab through, or use a stick to get the nest out. After you do, your sax will sound as sweet as honey! What? You don't think that's the problem? It's probably a reed, actually.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by perkysquirel
          (26 posts)

18 years ago

there is a lot of moisture in my mouth piece when i play

Reply To Post

2. by lotsoffun
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

i have a similar problem to yours I believe. It might be because you just salivate a lot when you play, whenever there is a break in the music be sure to suck out all the spit in your mouthpiece. It happens to me a lot. If this doesn't help try starting private lessons and asking your teacher.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by diminishedpower
        (25 posts)

18 years ago

Ok i dont want to sound mean, but i think its just your ombachoure(sp?) to many saxophonist when they start playing think its all about the set up, but a lot of it is being able to control your reed efficiently, and to find out if its your sound then play against a wall and u can hear your true sound better. And last if u are playing on a 2.5 or even a three harder reed would help but only if u have the ombachoure and breath support to back it up

Reply To Post

4. by sanz54
        (1 post)

18 years ago

check the ligature, sometimes when a screw is loose it will buzz

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
          (148 posts)

18 years ago

Is your mouthpiece a Selmer S80 Bee star?

Reply To Post

2. by jtf1459
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Reed placement can be critical. I find that when my reed is positioned too far back on the m/p I get a hissy/spitty (you could call it buzzy) tone. Moving the reed forward a little farther usually clears up the problem. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjohnny
            (2 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Perksy, the noise is being produced by your "spit" on the reed. When you hear it again simply take the reed off and wipe it.
            Free online sax lessons
            http://www.HowToPlaySaxophone.org

Reply To Post

1. by perkysquirel
              (26 posts)

18 years ago

if it is the spit then spit accumulates wayyyyyyyy to fast because after i put my mouth and blow on there just once the next time i play i get the buzzing noise

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

Would a mouthpiece with a larger tip opening help?

Reply To Post

3. by bigred
              (43 posts)

18 years ago

maybe it's not the equiptment, maybe it's you

Reply To Post

4. by perkysquirel
              (26 posts)

18 years ago

I know its me but i dont know how to fix my embrouchure

Reply To Post

5. by peter090
              (155 posts)

18 years ago

Try rubbing a little cork grease on the inside of your moutpiece. This seems to help keep moisture from building up in the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

6. by notlegit
              (11 posts)

18 years ago

I think I know exactly the sound you are talking about. Its a light rattle almost, right in the mouth piece, or the neck. I have a Keilwerth ST90 with the stock MP and a #2 reed. I did get a Rovner lig instead of the stock lig. I could not get rid of the noise tonight. My instructor told me I could suck in really quick on the mp during a rest to remove any moisture from between the reed and the MC if it was caused by moisture. This does not seem to be though. He could not really hear the noise very well. I think that it may be because my reed is really soft and it slaps against the facing in an unusual way. Just a guess. I am going to get a harder reed ot test my hypothesis, and I will let you know what I find out. This doesnt help solve your problem, but I feel your pain. Craig

Reply To Post

7. by fairer_sax
              (6 posts)

18 years ago

I'm a beginner and I get a buzzing noise in my mpc after I have been practicing a while. I tend to bring my chin up and this is my problem. Try dropping your chin a bit and see if this helps.

Reply To Post