Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Pad Savers

Ive seen these long, fluffy things (pad savers) which are made to sit inside the sax when its not being played and they are supposed to protct the pads ect (im sure alot of you know what im on about). Are these worth getting? Are they any good?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Pad Savers

a lot of sax players i know and respect use them, but i hate them. i think they are excuses to be lazy. get a regular swab, it cleans them much better, but it does take at least 45 seconds to use, oh no

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxjuan
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

It works fine if you use it to clean as a swap, but do not leave in your sax or you will be keeping the unwanted humidity wich in the long run will hurt the pads

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
      (48 posts)

18 years ago

But arn't you supposed to clean the sax with a swab (of which I have) and the insert the padsaver? That way it would protect the pads but not put in moisture.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjuan
        (12 posts)

18 years ago

I do not like to use the swab because it seems not to really remove all the moisture from the inner body, so the pad saver works better for it, but for the pads I use a cotton fabric and I do it one by one before I polish the sax with a dry polish rag for cars, my sax its been with me for 3 years and looks mint in and out.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I've never used a padsaver, but my daughter has one. She's used it for three years and not had a problem. Way back when, when I was in high school, I used a swab, but there was enough moisture still in the horn that when I put it away between practices, the moisture all traveled down to settle on the low Eb, D# pad--glued the pad to the saxophone!!! Had to replace that pad about once a year until I wised up and stared storing the saxophone (in its case) upside down. Any moisture still in the horn would travel down into the cap on the end of the neck, which is plastic. Maybe a padsaver would have been good to get what the swab missed. However, I would hesitate to leave one in long term, expecially if not using a swab, as the moisture is then kept inside the horn, and, in a closed case, where's it going to go? You'd have to dry it out really well once in a while.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

18 years ago

the D# jey problem is easy to fix. after you play and sawb out the horn, take a piece of paper, double it over and stick it under that key(make sure that is just right size to fit in. then store your horn overnight stading up. i usually keep mine on a stand at night. it will never stick again. this also works for the G# key, another common sticker

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

18 years ago

A pad saver does nothing to "protect" the pads, it's just to be used similar as a pull-through swab. From all the sax players I've known, the debate is pretty split on whether or not to leave it in the bell. Some say it collects the moisture, others say it actually collects the moisture and PUSHES it to the pads. My vote is for the latter theory. I used to use one while in high school, and always had to clean my pads with greenbacks. After I went to college and stopped using one, my pads were always cleaner and had to be cleaned much less. Don't know for sure if the pad saver was to blame, but with a mortgage, 2 auto payments, insurance, propane, electric, food, etc. I really don't feel like doing any experiments and possibly risk cracking a pad or twelve :)

Reply To Post

2. by ClickRec
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

There are pad savers that are made of a nylon-like material and absorb nothing. The one that I use feels cottony and works great. Of course I don't know the brand name, but you can easily tell if it absorbs or not as soon as you touch it. Don't leave it in the horn, though.

Reply To Post

1. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

18 years ago

Pad savers actually do hurt the saxophone pads. They are made out of a material that repels, not absorbs, moisture, and it actually channels all the moisture to the pads. Do. Not. Use. It.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

I'd say swab it out, then put the horn away with nothing in it. I wouldn't want anything that could be moist having contact with the pads, or brass for that matter. maybe vent the case if you're really having problems.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by The_§ax
              (147 posts)

18 years ago

Pad Savers = Dead Pads

I highly dislike Pad Savers. As many other people on this forum have said, they keep the moisture in contact with the pads, and if they are really wet, then also with the brass. I bought a nice sop over the internet that was damaged in Hurricane Katrina. It must've been in a cupboard and got saturated or something, but when it arrived here, i discovered there was a padsaver inside. This meant that there was fur growing on the inside of the sax. This was just a rare occaision but now it means i will need to spend just a little more time removing the growth from within the sax.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Pad Savers = Dead Pads

I like them...I use them all the time in school, its fast to use so I'm not late to class spending a minute cramming a swab in the horn and it doesnt even clean that much where the horn gets bigger at the bottom...and my keys rarly stick, if it does, similar to the paper thing except i get a dolar, fold it stick it in there, hold the key down and pull the paper out, works for me a lot. And why would you buy a sopranno that was damaged by hurricane katrina?? Sorry it just seems a little weird to me...

Reply To Post AIM

3. by The_§ax
              (147 posts)

18 years ago

Because after a little work on it, it will be playing fine and only cost a very, very small amount of money. Due to the sellers lack of knowledge.

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

18 years ago

Just seems like the interior of your horn is ruined and gonna be a pain in the butt to clean after that, and if a horn gets badly damaged dont you have to repad your horn? someone told me that at school...but it costs money to get it really clean and repaded >_

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Dave Dix
              (421 posts)

18 years ago

The interior wont be ruined, its made of brass!! Just a bit of brushing and it will be as good as any horn. The main probem would be rusty screws but if the horn has been cared for and correctly oiled they should come out OK Dave

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

What's weird about saving money? Water can sure make a mess of things, but usually any water damage can be repaired easy enough. As for pad savers, there are a few different types. Some readers might not be too familiar with them. One kind is a long, fiber swab that fits inside of the body through the tenon. I don't recommend this type. For one thing, they hold moisture and can mildew; then your horn and case is a smelly mess. Also, the little fibers fall out after a while and can stick between the pads and the tone holes and cause leaks. The second type is a clamp that fits over the action and holds the pads closed. I don't recommend these either. Holding the keys closed puts tension on the springs, which, after a period of time, the springs will get weak. Take an empty coffee can. Turn it upside down and press it against the seat cushion on a leather sofa or recliner for a few minutes. Now remove the can and look at the indentation. This is exactly what this type of pad saver does to your pads by holding pressure on the pad against the tone hole. And if that's not reason enough, leaving the tone holes open helps the horn to dry out inside after playing, and therefore it's less likely to smell and mildew inside. Pad savers are not a good idea. Now, here is what I recommend: Buy a silk swab that is designed for the particular pitch of saxophone; tenor, alto, etc. Swab the instrument when you are done using it. If you have been playing it for extended periods of time, swab it twice. Wipe the outside down with a clean cloth. Nothing too fancy; a clean dry washcloth is fine. Remove the reed and rinse it off. Rinse out your mouthpiece and dry it with paper towel or the wash cloth. Buy a couple of the LaVoz reed holders. The nice thing about the LaVoz holders is that they flatten out the tips of the reeds so that they dry straight and do not warp. MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! Store your horn in a dry place! Prefferably between 50-75 degrees F. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with jim. Here's another point I'd like to add. Whenever possible let your horn "dry" on a stand after swabbing before putting it in the case. Nothing smells worse than a moldy/mildewy case. Keyclamps really suck and are totally worthless. The first pads to usually fail on a sax are the ones that are sprung shut. (palm keys, side keys, G#, etc.) It stands to reason that clamping the rest of the pads shut would only shorten their lives!

Reply To Post