Saxophone Forum

by saxskillzyamaha
(52 posts)
18 years ago

Mouthpiece Essentials?

I am playing a yamaha yts-52 and have a otto link hard rubber 6* and a regular super tone master metal piece (6*). Are there any other pieces that are worth looking at (Jody Jazz, Otto Link New York, Selmers, Guardala)?? Some people have been asking me if I need any more (for gifts) so I would like to know. Also I have a francois-Louie on the hard rubber and I was wonder if I should leave the stock lig on the metal piece. Any other ligs or other products worth looking at to improve my sound. I use v16's and ZZ's and JAVA's right now (vandoren). Any good reed suggestions. I play jazz (mostly bop, funk, swing, big band) and some classical stuff. Money is not a grear factor.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece Essentials?

There are lots of great pieces out there. (add Lamberson to your list...) However, before you get into the mouthpiece thing, ask yourself some questions like, "Am I getting a sound that I like?", "Does my equipment serve my needs in ease of blowing, response, range,etc.?" "If not, what needs to change to get where I want to be?"... In short, if you like what you've got, don't change it. It can be a long and expensive process. As for the Link lig, try a Selmer 404 or a Rovner light. Both work well and are way better than a stock Link. The only other products that come to mind to improve your sound are a horn in good repair and lots of practice!

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Blackfrancis. Trying to find the perfect mouthpiece is like finding the Holy Grail. Better find something close and practice. As for me, I play a Dukoff 7 on tenor and really love it. It's not too expensive and every student I've reccomended it to has liked it......Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

All you need is a good wet reed and a ligature!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM