Saxophone Forum

by mattMrozinski
(35 posts)
18 years ago

ska, anyone?

anybody know about playing techniques, scales, licks, anything of that nature for playing Ska? i really want to start a ska band with some friends but im not sure how to come up with like sweet licks and stuff. im talking like streetlight manifesto-like stuff.... any help, ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by vaggmann
    (8 posts)

18 years ago

Re: ska, anyone?

if your trying to write songs on the guitar try to stay away from the bottom e string (use power chords starting on the a string as the lowest chords) turn the d-chord structure on the first 3 strings( e 2) as a bar b 3 g 2 chord just by moving it up and down the neck for horns try starting with one scale and making a group of notes that sound good together. play it faster than ususal and aid this by adding a couple notes here and there. the verse shouldn't be a fast riff like the intro and shouldn't play the whole time. it should aid the guitar. the chorus and outro can be fast and exhilirating again

Reply To Post

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Theres a lot of rock sax playing in streetlight type playing. I play in a band thats that style, learn your jazz essentials, scales and everything, and be able to USE them, and learn to do rock style playing, including growls and flutter tongue etc. Lots of work to get there. It may also help, transcribe their licks and learn them, then apply that when you write your own licks and lines

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by nad1rn
    (37 posts)

18 years ago

I'd try getting down some Catch 22 licks before moving on to SLM...It'd be good practice

Reply To Post AIM

1. by mingusfan69
      (9 posts)

18 years ago

SLM and Catch 22 are essintialyl the same band since Tom Kolnacy was in both bands, and he writes all the music. Most of the heads and horn lines don't deviate from mixolydian, Major and Minor keys...and easy ones at that (A, G, F, C, D). The changes also are fairly simplistic and are somewhere between basic ii-V-i changes and using bass-lines that change over 1 or 2 chords (STM's Falling, Flailing is a good example).The solos, especially streetlights t-bone use modulations from minor to dorian, or they just stick straight to the changes with either major or minor chords. As for some chops work, the solos use a lot of scalular runs and octave displacement.

Reply To Post

2. by mingusfan69
      (9 posts)

18 years ago

SLM and Catch 22 are essintially the same band since Tom Kolnacy was in both bands so I would go with either ones, and he writes all the music. Most of the heads and horn lines don't deviate from mixolydian, Major and Minor keys...and easy ones at that (A, G, F, C, D). The changes also are fairly simplistic and are somewhere between basic ii-V-i changes and using bass-lines that change over 1 or 2 chords (STM's Falling, Flailing is a good example).The solos, especially streetlights t-bone use modulations from minor to dorian, or they just stick straight to the changes with either major or minor chords. As for some chops work, the solos use a lot of scalular runs and octave displacement.

Reply To Post

4. by larrythesaxguy
    (8 posts)

18 years ago

sorry...I'm not sure about playing ska but god do I love it!Streetlight Manifesto is the best sound I have ever heard, they need to make about 5 more albums! Sorry i couldn't help but if any of u guys gets any catch22 or SLM sounds on music I'll buy 'em!

Reply To Post

1. by ska-sax
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

oi, i have the same problem..i am a tenor sax player (been playing since about year 4 and am in year 10 now) in a just starting ska band, and we're trying to lern covers before we right original stuff. the only problem is i cant find sax or even horn sheet music for any of the bands, goldfigner, reel big fish etc we are lerning " i want your girlfriend to be my girlfriend too by RBF" and i am trying to decifer the music by listening to it then playing it o nthe organ then converting it to sax.....not easy at all.(and yes i do know theres no sax players in reel big fish) can any one help

Reply To Post

1. by vaggmann
        (8 posts)

18 years ago

to ska-sax: checkout horntabs.net

Reply To Post

2. by ska-sax
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

oi, i have the same problem..i am a tenor sax player (been playing since about year 4 and am in year 10 now) in a just starting ska band, and we're trying to lern covers before we right original stuff. the only problem is i cant find sax or even horn sheet music for any of the bands, goldfigner, reel big fish etc we are lerning " i want your girlfriend to be my girlfriend too by RBF" and i am trying to decifer the music by listening to it then playing it o nthe organ then converting it to sax.....not easy at all.(and yes i do know theres no sax players in reel big fish) can any one help

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

for the mainstream bands - go to www.horntabs.com if you want to cheat. That will give the notes, but you need to work on rhthyms yourself for most any song you can think of It would be better IMO for you playing in general to transcribe it by ear and play with the CD to learn it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by ska-sax
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

thanks heaps for that..i know its cheating.. but hopefully as i get older and more expeirenced i will be able to lern it by ear.......is this site ment to give me links to other sites?

Reply To Post

2. by mattMrozinski
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

my band teacher made us transcribe tenor madness after having him play it, then we would have to follow his lead... i had most of it but there were parts where i had to look at his hands. i was going to try transcribing some SLM but its pretty fast. luckily they're going to be here in buffalo with RBF and MXPX next month... maybe i could get some tips from someone at the show.

Reply To Post

3. by ska-sax
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

what is a lick?

Reply To Post