Saxophone Forum

by jboom
(1 post)
18 years ago

fe olds is it worth fixing

someone gave my son(10) a fe olds parisan sax(he wants to play in school band). local music shop says it needs about $300. is it worth it. i have no knowledge on mucical instruments. the sax looks old. the only markings on it are "parisian made in france for fe olds and son" and what looks like a serial number 24091. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: fe olds is it worth fixing

$300 sounds high to me--what all does it need? I don't know anything particular about this horn, but I believe Olds used to be a decent brand, and Paris is where the best Selmers come from. But that's here, and not there. Do you have any pictures?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

They were actually stenciled horns made by Buffet. They are pretty good players too. 300 bucks is a decent price to pay if you are gonna be playing it. To sell it, it worth around 6-700 tops in good shape. Stenciled horns horns just dont fetch the same amount of money the horns they were modeled after do, even though they play just as well

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by knighttrain
        (31 posts)

18 years ago

Olds Parisians were actually made by Pierret, another French Company. But otherwise, I second the advice/info provided by definition above.

Reply To Post