Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
18 years ago

OH CRAP!

Okay, since I have been playing tenor sax in January, the school's, a Bundy, that I was using had a persistent problem. Whenever I would go to take the neck off, it would take awhile before I could get it out. Now, since maybe last night, it has been stuck completely, failing to even move around. I tried a few methods to get it out, including putting vaseline on it to help it slide. WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!?!?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

18 years ago

Re: OH CRAP!

and before anyone asks, I AM loosening the screw on the sax body... I'm not THAT stupid!

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

18 years ago

try some heat, it might soften whatever makes it stick

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

Careful with heat. The soldered tenon joint will be level with the top of the body and if you use a blow torch the heat will hit this joint first, run it under the hot tap and see if this works Dave

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

Dave... what type of solder do you use for that and what is the melting point? water sounds like the best bet, or take it in and have the professionals look at it. You (the person with the problem) could have bent the neck a little or something making it stick. oh, and it would solve the problem if the solder joint came off... but the person would have a whole different one on their hands! (I can imange that the solder "could" run up and flow between the neck and collar... which would be A LOT of fun to try and get off.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Remove the tenon screw completely. Then, use a flat screwdriver to spread the tenon open. BE CAREFUL!!! Turn the neck until you are able to remove it. Then, use a piece of emery cloth or fine sand paper to sand the inside of the tenon and the part of the neck that fits into the tenon. Clean with a rag and then apply a few drops of oil. Problem solved! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

As for the hot water idea, I would try that if you cannot spread the tenon enough to loosen the neck. You have to be really careful with water too, because the water can damage the pads. It's still much safer than using heat. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

I think this is the best idea and will do the least amount of damage(unless the screw driver slips!) the water idea is good, but your working around alot of little pads that you don't want to start leaking on you, esp on tenor with the long palm keys. I think the idea of removing the screw completly and then wedging the flat screwdriver into the opening where the horn bends for the screw is a farily safe idea. The area is designed to bend so it should at least give a little. I would the water idea as a backup idea, but be prepared to have to replace some pads.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

I've tried spreading the tenon with a small eyeglass screwdriver, but whenever I do that, and try to turn the neck, it just falls on out. I'll try the water idea when I get the chance, thanks.

Reply To Post

6. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Jim's screwdriver seems the best way, i would remove the top octave vent then put the driver straight downwards so not to bend the screw clamps. The hot water will not worry the pads if you hold the horn upside down so the water doesn't run directly on the high F,E,Eb keys etc but i doubt it would harm them anyway as long as you let them cool first as the heat may soften the shellac.If anything it may help to re-bed them!!! Dave

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

you need a decent sized screwdriver. An eyeglass screwdriver is no where near big enough. You need to apply a little pressure. When you remove the tenon screw, put the screwdriver tip between where the screw goes and pry the tenon open slightly. Just be careful not to slip with the screwdriver. Have someone help you if needed. I wouldn't use the hot water until you have tried spreading the tenon and still cannot move the neck. The water will ruin those pads if you get them wet. The reason why the neck is getting stuck inside of the neck is probably due to corrosion. When you get the neck out of the tenon, make sure you clean it with some sandpaper like I said and then oil it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I'll just send you a picture showing you what I am talking about. You may need a smaller tip screwdriver to get it started, and then use a bigger screwdriver.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

i got your e-mail, Jim, ashame the picture is blurry, though, but I do have a basic idea of what it shows. I only have two flathead screwdrivers at my disposal: one, the eyeglass; and two, a relatively large one used for, say, carpentery. One of the problems that I have just figured out MIGHT be the main issue. Where the tenon screw goes in, those little receptor thingys, those are part of a little band going around the top of the body. I can pull those babies all the way back, meaning they are not saughtered on to the tenon anymore. There we go. Like someone else said, it would be quite fun to try to undo the soldering to fix those, when it gets to the neck itself. I haven't gotten a chance to see if the sax plays okay despite this problem, but I'm assuming it will. Thanks for all of your input so far.

Reply To Post

10. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Another thing, as a general practice, every time you take the neck off or put it on, it's a good idea to wipe it off, inside and out. Before putting the neck on, wrap your fingers around the end and twist--the little bit of oil from your skin may be just enough to let that baby slide right in.

Reply To Post

11. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

VICTORY!!!

I FINALLY GOT IT OUT. I used a slightly larger screwdriver to separate the tenon, and starting pulling it out. Now it can finally go in its case instead of on my couch!

Reply To Post

12. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: VICTORY!!!

applause!!! applause!!! applause!!!

Reply To Post

13. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

thanks for all of the help, everybody!

Reply To Post

14. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Now to fix it so this cant happen again!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

15. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"Now to fix it so this cant happen again!!!" quoted for importance... you don't want to carry a screwdriver around with you!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

16. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

ever since I got it out, I have been playing it constantly, and have not had any problems with getting it in or out yet. But if it does happen again, hopefully not, I will know what to do.

Reply To Post

17. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

18 years ago

Re: OH CRAP AGAIN

adding on, My sch band has a bari and juz 3 days ago the neck couldnt come off too.. The first time we had to forcefully pull it out. Then we tried adding oil and brass soap and grease which still doesnt work. There isnt any prob putting the neck in, its the taking out that has a prob. The bari is new, juz bought 5 months ago. The neck isnt bend when we inspected it. Any ideas how to fix it? Also, wats a tenon?

Reply To Post

18. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Tenon is the end part of the neck that goes in the tenon reciever which is the top body part with the neck tightening screw on (tenon screw) Dave

Reply To Post

19. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

18 years ago

have you tried puttting the lube on before you put the neck in, or are you trying to apply it once its stuck. take it in and have the reciever stretched a little

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM