Saxophone Forum

by MarcM
(7 posts)
18 years ago

Hello

I have found this site in a quest to locate a recommendation for a local repair shop in the Santa Clarita/Los Angeles area that does good work. Much to my dismay, I discovered that my old Balanced Action alto's bell has been bent, causing the the pads on the bell not to seal. I have not played the horn in a while, so I am a little out of touch as far as good shops. Also, as long as I am here, I would also be curious as to know a ball park value of the horns I have for insurance purposes. I have: The aforementioned Selmer Balanced Action alto, a Selmer MK6 tenor in good shape, a Getzen Baritone sax, a Couf soprano sax, a Conn alto and tenor from the 70s. I have not played these horns in years, but I am attached to them. I have been getting the itch to pull them out again. Naturally, my favorite horn is the one that is damaged... Thank you in advance for your replies. MarcM

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarcM
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Hello

Upon opening the case, the second tenor is not a Conn, but a Continental Colonial. I never played the horn because I got it at the same time as the MK VI.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

Oh the second tenor is technically still a Conn actually, that was one of the stencil horns they made. Take a look at some pictures of old Conns from the same time period as the Continential, they will be basically the same horn, but with different engravings

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Hi! The only values I can help you with are the Conns from the 70's, and I'm sorry to say they're not worth a lot. The alto is probably worth $150-$250 and the tenor $200-$350. During the 70's, the Conn's were outsourced to Mexico, and the quality suffered some. Insurance wise, they may be able to have asomewhat higher value, as it would cost more to replace them than you could likely get by selling them. The stencil has the added problem of not even having the well-known name. Of course, that's assuming they are in good condition... Others may be able to qualify this answer, but I bought my daughter's Conn (1970) for only $120 two years ago on ebay.

Reply To Post