Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
18 years ago

Applying Physics to Saxophone Subtone Practice?

I heard somewhere that you had to play the subtones(tenor) from low D to low Bb a bit differently than the rest because of the curvature of the horn. Can somebody tell me how this is applied? I know that to pop those lower subtones out I personally put just a tad more of wind pressure, if I put too much it will jump to the next harmonic series. Opinions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Applying Physics to Saxophone Subtone Practice?

I believe that trial and error is the best way to figure out how to play the various notes the best way possible for the style of music desired. Sure, those of us who understand physics (to some extent) can put some theory behind what works, and why it works better. I honestly don't believe it has to do with the curvature of the horn, that the lowest notes take a slightly different technique, but the length of the horn. The longer the horn (the more tone holes you have closed), the more subtones are (easily) available. A French horn player I know can play an entire scale without changing his fingering because the subtones get closer together the higher you go in a long piece of tubing.

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
      (77 posts)

18 years ago

If u are talking about tenors only and not comparing it with the sop, then i too do not believe that the curvature of the horn affects the horn. The curvature only changes the direction in which the sound comes out. Be it the to the top or side. Not touching on the octave key, from C down, u may have already realised the more holes u cover the lower ur sound. So, in order to cover the full length of the enclosed tenor body, u have to put in more air. Like when u play a low C on an alto, a tenor, a bari. Therefore, the longer body, the longer the distance the air must flow, the more air u need. Correct? Wat do u mean by 'if I put too much it will jump to the next harmonic series.' ? Do u mean the sound will go higher? Sorry, because we dun usually use 'harmonic series'. If u mean that the sound goes higher, it is because of the direction ur air hits ur reed and how much u open ur throat. Whether is it hot air or cold air. (i may have errors, so correct me if found) -Kerqt

Reply To Post

2. by JazzMan1234
    (8 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah its not the curves on the sax its the length of the sax and and when a saxophone resonates there are certain areas where the vibrations bounce off the inside of the horn, this all has to do with nodes and anit-nodes and all that, i dont really know much about it but if you take physics in HS you'll cover it. And also I took a lesson from the teacher at the Blair School of Music and he could play every altssimo note with out fingering each one, he would finger G and play every upper register note, it was pretty amazing. Its all about positioning of the vocal chords and opening your throat, trial and error is the best way to go about it.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Trial and error is the best way to do it. You have to find what works for you. My piano teacher told me to use whatever fingering it takes to get around. It's the same with saxophone. The lower the note the less jaw and lower lip pressure. The higher you go, the more the lower lip and jaw pressure. The embouchure doesn't change but rather the pressure. Blow naturally and mess around until you get what you want.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

4. by TONY HOLLY
    (10 posts)

18 years ago

To get your horn to sub nicely you must make sure your horn is in good condition all the time. Pop her into your local sax mechanic and just get it tweeked up regularly. It won't cost a lot. You'll be amazed a the difference. When we are blowing regularly we don't notice the slight deteriation.

Reply To Post