Saxophone Forum

by Cathy
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Baritone Saxophone

Hello, my name is Cathy. I just found this site and am wondering about my baritone saxophone. I have a vintage CG Conn Ltd with a serial number of 48210. Also has an engraving with USN below the CG Conn Ltd emblem. Any value to this vintage saxophone? From looking at the forum, I am guessing this one is between 1917-1924. I have a person interested in purchasing it and I have absolutely no idea of the worth. It has some dents and some of the silver plating is worn off. All the ivory on the keys are still in tact. I have had it for 30 years. I played it in the High School band, but the pads were in need of replacement back then and they still have not been replaced. Another question: On the saxophone where the CG Conn emblem is, there is a flowered engraved design. Is this standard to the Conn Ltd. Thanks for any info you can pass on to me. I have enjoyed reading the info on the site

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Baritone Saxophone

Hi Cathy, The saxophone that you are referring to is a CG Conn New Wonder Series I saxophone. It was one of the earlier New Wonder Series I horns; the serial number dates it to approx. 1918. The floral engraving was typical of the New Wonder Series I horns. Silver was the most common finish. The value depends highly on the condition, and it sounds as if yours is in need of a complete overhaul (dent removal, cleaning, pads, springs, cork, etc) Being that it is a baritone, it's probably worth $300-$500 as is. It's really hard to say with out looking at the instrument. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Cathy
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the information. Would some pictures be helpful at all? There are not really any big dents. Just more dingers.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Jim, its also a military horn also i believe. It doesnt change the price dramatically, but throw some light on its history. Horns engraved with things like USN, USQMC etc are military horrns and always silver. Jim's advice on the horns was solid, though I would value it a bit higher

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM