Saxophone Forum

by tacumabosi
(2 posts)
18 years ago

B&S (aka. LA Sax) Chicago Jazz Series

Hey there, Newbie member from down under looking at buying a Chicago Jazz Series tenor over the internet. Bit nervous about buying something like that without seing first and wonder whether anyone here had any experience with the make/model. Cheers.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: B&S (aka. LA Sax) Chicago Jazz Series

Howdy! Probably not what you want to hear, but I can't think of any musical instrument over $100 that I'd buy without playing it first...

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I've not heard good things about LA Sax. I don't have any first-hand knowlege of them, though.

Reply To Post

1. by tacumabosi
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Hmmmmm.......thanks for the input guys - i've heard varying reports on them from the few folks in NZ i've managed to find who have come across them. Its a bugger - the sax looks awesome and is an exceptional price (I realise this isnt really what counts of course). Unfortunately the range of saxes you can play in any given shop to sort out what you want is relatively limited too and nowhere stocks B&S at all - grrrrrrrrr. Occupational hazard of living at the bottom of the world I guess! Any other feedback welcomed. Cheers, Simon.

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

I am going to give you something that the other 2 guys have yet to do, actual advice! Seriously, I feel dumber from reading the first guys post. Maybe you should just back up into your cave and enjoy life from a distance. First off if you can't play the horn you are playing with fire but just keep the fire extinquisher handy. When shopping for a new alto under $2000 I bought a Chicago (LA Sax, aka B & S) Sax. I posted a review here: www.wwbw.com/LA-Sax-Chicago-Jazz-Series-Alto-Sax-i98058.music Look for my email address [email protected] As you read you can see I did send it back but for personal preferences, it's a great horn. The closeout ones are really tarnished. I have heard the Tenors are a little more open. Overall cost to me ? Zero Dollars. They refunded me everything including the return shipping. WWBW is a legit company. Highly recommend them. Can't say the same about the Chicago, I just think they are good horns, not for me. I ended up buying a used Cannonball 2004 from the trading post here on saxquest. I emailed the guy a few times and then called him, verifed his address on the internet (thank you reverse lookup yellow pages) and paid him through paypal. Horn was as nice as the pics. Got it for $1400, love my pretty horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM