Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
18 years ago

Vintage=? years

What age would you guys consider an instrument to be a vintage horn? I would consider 25+ years in order for one to be vintage. Thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vintage=? years

as far as selmer goes, i would say the early mark vii's would mark the end of vintage if that late.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by buddrobroy
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

I would think older than that. I have Kings and bueschers from early 50s. A conn Bari from 1934. All superb players.I had a 1932 conn tranny tenor. I presentlt have a late model 10M. NO COMPARISON.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I've kind of divided "vintage" into three catagories. 1) Pre-1930 horns. Most of these are a little too antique for some people. The intonation isn't the greatest on some models and they tend to be somewhat tempermental. These horns are probably not the best choice for an inexperienced player. 2) 1930-1960 vintage. These are some of the best horns of all time, and the vintage horns that everyone loves. Included in this catagory are the earlier Selmer Mark VI's, Conn 6M's and 10M's, the King Zephyr and Super 20, Buescher Aristocrat, Big B, and 400 Top Hat & Cane, Martin Committee models, and other great horns. 3) The later vintage horns; 1961-1977? I suppose the cut-off date for vintage is a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't consider anything newer than 1980 to be vintage. Why? Because I was born in 1973 and if horns made after 1980 are considered vintage, that makes me feel OLD!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by buddrobroy
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

I would think older than that. I have Kings and bueschers from early 50s. A conn Bari from 1934. All superb players.I had a 1932 conn tranny tenor. I presentlt have a late model 10M. NO COMPARISON.

Reply To Post

4. by buddrobroy
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

I would think older than that. I have Kings and bueschers from early 50s. A conn Bari from 1934. All superb players.I had a 1932 conn tranny tenor. I presentlt have a late model 10M. NO COMPARISON. Sorry, buddrobroy

Reply To Post