Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
18 years ago

Near Mint Conn

Unbeknownst to me till Saturday at my lesson, my private instructor has a bari sax. But not just any bari, an awesome, near mint, dark gold lacquer, Conn bari. I think he said he bought it in the late 40s-ish. Anyhoo, he let me play it, and I'll tell you, it played like a dream! Even low Bb came out without trying. Just on a matter of opinion, how much do you think that that thing would be worth today? $5000+ ? Not that it really matters, though, as who in their right mind would sell that beauty?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by qazmom
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Near Mint Conn

Hi, I have a buescher bari sax form 1924 that is silver plated, and keyed to high f (some are only keyed to high Eflat) that is also really LOUD and can play very easily. Vintage baris are definatley the best for tone and volume. If you look enough on ebay you can usually find one for no more then 2,000. I got mine on ebay about a year ago on ebay for about $1,500. If you look and are patient, i would say that you can probably get a nice vintage bari for not much more then I did. Good luck.

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Your might be a tad more valueable. 40-ish is good but if you can get the serial number, at least the first 3 numbers we can give you a year. Gold Lacquer for thouse years is probaby pretty rare. Most of them are Silver Plated. Mine was 49 alto Laquer and was really worn. Now is it Gold Plated or Laquer? Gold Plated of course would be more valueable. People allways tell these lovely stories and never post pics. I hate it. Stop being so lazy and show us the money!!!! oh you pretty Bari sax, your my new wallpaper.... So serial number at least, pics would be prefect. If anyone ever needs a place where they can post sax pics for free, give me a email at [email protected] and I will give you some space on my web site, vintagehorn.com to post them. I can set it up so people can see the pics. Let me know if you want them to be for registered visitors or anyone. No limit on the number of pics you wanta show, no resolution limit either.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

i can probably post the serial numbers (first 3) on saturday afternoon, after my lesson.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

OK, my instructor has a gig with the local symphony orchestra on Saturday (therefore I can't go to the lesson), so next week I will have the numbers. Oh, if your wondering, he plays Bb clarinet there, not sax.

Reply To Post