Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

saxophone quintet

I'm trying to start a saxophone quintet. I have found good arrangements for saxophone quintet already, but only 5. What I'm looking for is jazz or popular music arrangements(anything but classical) for saxophone quintet and rhythm section (piano/guitar/bass/drums). Anything from novice to advanced difficulty (not too easy). Anybody know of any good charts out there? Also, are there any good saxophone quintets of this kind out there today that I can look up? Thanks for your input.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

18 years ago

Re: saxophone quintet

try: www.sibeliusmusic.com www.saxtetpublications.com www.windmusicplus.com OH, and what's your instrumentation? SAATB? AATTB? BBBBB!?!?

Reply To Post

1. by straightj23
      (103 posts)

18 years ago

The instrumentation I'm primarily looking for is AATTB with rhythm section (at least drums & bass), but I'm willing to modify others into what I'll have. For example, if the piece is for SATTB, I'll transpose the soprano part to alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

yes, but say the soprano goes above high B (alto's high F#), does your alto player (possibly you) know altissimo? I've actually been in the process of starting a sax quartet. I actually have written some songs for us, too. The only problem is that we need an alto, yes ALTO, player. The most widely played saxophone, and we can't find someone to play it! Good luck with your quintet, though! saxjunkie

Reply To Post

2. by moose123
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

SUPER SAX.............thats the name of the group Dave Brubeck was playing with. It was a saxaphone quintet also. I believe the lineup was aattb.It was rewritten, harmonized Charlie Parker songs. Definatly worth checking into. Hard as shit to play though!

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
        (76 posts)

18 years ago

If you want to start a group with unusual instrumentation the easiest thing to do is arrange your own pieces. Take good piano voicings and begin applying them to the saxophones. This is a great way to start writing and arranging. I get a few calls a month to arrange and compose for different groups. It is a great skill to have and can pay the bills if done correctly. hope this helps Tracy

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
          (132 posts)

18 years ago

OMG I love SuperSax :-) (sorry for the 1337sp34k)

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
            (51 posts)

18 years ago

Is the CD called super sax, sounds interesting... tell me!

Reply To Post

2. by KingNecron
            (76 posts)

18 years ago

I did an arrangement of Boston's "More Than A Feeling" for saxophone quartet. You could just double up the tenor part, then drop one for the "guitar" solo. I had a sax quartet/quintet in high school (same setup that you want for your quintet--AATTB; dropped a tenor when it was just four of us), so I used to write a lot for saxophones. I probably have some stuff you could mess around with.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by straightj23
            (103 posts)

18 years ago

Well, right now, it looks like I can't get the group started. Right now, I have me on tenor, a bari player, drummer, and a bass player. This would be a twisted group wouldn't it? I think it would work out. I would still have to find a piano player and a guitar player to complete the rhythm section. I'm sure I can get it all together. Thanks guys.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by KingNecron
            (76 posts)

18 years ago

Good luck, dude! Rock on!

Reply To Post AIM