Saxophone Forum

by MarkLavelle
(300 posts)
18 years ago

Reducing spring tension

Is there an 'easy' (and safe) way to reduce needle spring tension a little bit? The left spatula keys on my daughter's YAS-23 are quite stiff compared to everything else, and I'm convinced the springs are the problem...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tbone
    (120 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reducing spring tension

Before you go bending the springs try this first: Remove the springs on the keys in question from their nibs. Now check to make sure that the keys in question move freely. There should be no resistance in the keys. If they do, in fact, move freely then now you may take some ot the tension out of the springs. The springs should be bent in an arc with no hard bends. You release tension by decreasing the amount of arc in said spring. Do it a little at a time continually re-hooking it into it's nib and checking the key action.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reducing spring tension

Thanks - that's almost too easy (although I'm well aware that over-bending is pretty much irreversible). And I already have one of those special tools just for spring pushing and pulling... Good point about unhooking the springs first to be sure (even though I'm *pretty* sure based on the way the keys spring back up).

Reply To Post