Saxophone Forum

by kliz02
(1 post)
18 years ago

King 1915 Tenor Saxophone

About 8 years ago I went through a month long phase of wanting to play the saxophone. I bought a sax through an ad in the newspaper for $80. I played it for a couple weeks and it has been sitting in my attic ever since. It is a King tenor saxophone from the year 1915 and it has gold plated keys. Can anyone tell me what the value of this instrument might be?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KingNecron
    (76 posts)

18 years ago

Re: King 1915 Tenor Saxophone

I don't know the value, but I'm going to post so this will move to the top of the forum--I'm curious myself. You might need to give a little more information, though.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

Kliz02, Unless this is a deluxe engraved, gold plated, mint condition early model H. N. White King, in which case it's value is purely as a collector's piece, it's value isn't high. Most horns of this early vintage, regardless of make/model aren't worth a whole heck of a lot as player's horns due to the antiquated keywork, sometimes sketchy intonation etc. Saxophones as a whole didn't begin to see major strides in manufacturing and design improvements until the 1920's for the most part. And this certainly applies to the King models as well. As a matter of fact, among many players even the later H.N. White Kings c. 1925 and later (after many improvements and redesigns were implemented) aren't in demand. I actually like the post 1925/pre Voll True model Kings, however I'm in the minority it seems. The value for a run of the mill Nineteen teens King Tenor in average condition isn't much more than a few hundred dollars at best, save for the special models mentioned above. My advice is to just keep it and play it. Cheers. Mike S.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

18 years ago

King model saxophones took off among players after the introduction of the Zephyr line in the 1930's, and of course the legendary Super 20 models.

Reply To Post