Saxophone Forum

by PTKV
(4 posts)
18 years ago

The $1,000 soprano sax - Recommendations?

I'd like to buy a soprano sax (straight, not curved) for around $1,000. I've seen good reviews of the Antigua WInds and the Woodwind/Brasswind models. I like Keilwerth's reputation, but I haven't seen a review of the ST90. Does anyone have any opinions on a "best buy"? Have I overlooked a better $1,000 soprano sax than the ones I've listed? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jazzsax0707
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: The $1,000 soprano sax - Recommendations?

I have been playing a Jupiter 547 for about 15 years. It is my double horn as I mainly play tenor. Here is a review of the 847 and 547 about $800 difference in price. www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-44260.html My experience with the 547 has been very posative. I play either a selmer C metal jazz mpc., or a Selmer s80 on the horn depending on my mood. The horn has been in the shop once about 2 years ago for a weak g# spring. Other than that it has given me absolutely no problems. You might find a new one for just a little over $1000. Looking on ebay, one sold last week for $288, wow.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Good luck....

Reply To Post AIM

1. by PTKV
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hello CountSpatula - "Good luck"? I suppose this means I need to spend more $. Let me know your opinion - what brands I should be looking at and how deeply I need to dig into my pocket...

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

More money you spend the better horn you will get. Soprannos have the worst reputation of playing WAY out of tune. Rampone and Cazanni, Yanagisawa, and Keilwerth are 3 brands with excellent intonation, but I don't know how cheap they can be. Yamahas are decent.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Forgot to add in : Antigua winds and wwbw horns that are like $300 are horrible, no sax worth that much would be anywhere near good.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I've been happy with me EM Winston.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I've been happy with my EM Winston. (sorry about the typo.)

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Forgot to add in : Antigua winds and wwbw horns that are like $300 are horrible, no sax worth that much would be anywhere near good. I'm not sure where you get this from, but this forum right Here has had about fourty different people, some very discerning and experienced players, say Antigua rates among the very best.

Reply To Post

5. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry I actually took the time and searched antiqua winds and the very first thread i was reading about 1) The guy stated that the only other horn he tried was better anyways. 2) They compared them to BUNDYS??? 3) The players only played for 2-3 years....

Reply To Post AIM

6. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry I actually took the time and searched antiqua winds and the very first thread i was reading about 1) The guy stated that the only other horn he tried was better anyways. 2) They compared them to BUNDYS??? 3) The players only played for 2-3 years.... Do some more reading.

Reply To Post

7. by PTKV
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hello Johnsonfromwisconsin - Thanks for the lead to SOTW - what a great resource, and the Antiqua sounds like a great buy.

Reply To Post

8. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

40 different people.... While several hundreds of people play on Conns, selmers, yanagisawa, etc.

Reply To Post AIM

9. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------- 40 different people.... While several hundreds of people play on Conns, selmers, yanagisawa, etc. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Why not stop dancing around things and actually read what other people have stated about the Antiguas in the forum as a whole?

Reply To Post

10. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Ok I looked through about 10 different ones and heres some quotes I'll randomly pick.... "The Antigua sits in the closet. It isn't that the Antigua is inferior, it is that the horns I prefer are superior" - Showing that its not the best horn "I played it for a few months and really liked the sound, but after trying a friends Yamaha 475, which was ergonomically superior, the keywork on the Antigua felt mushy." - Ditto "Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a Yanagisawa 991 from which my Antigua Winds is based." "f you are just messing around with soprano or just wanting to learn, then that horn is fine and will play decently enough until you are willing to upgrade." Ok so I will take back the part about they suck, but they're not THAT good. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they're decent horns, but for beginners. There are good compliments but the ones that make them are th eones who played for maybe a year. And No I didn't make those quotes up, I typed in Antigua under the search and went through them. And I know I picked out a few of the negative ones on purpose, just because most of them are good doesnt mean you can rule out the bad comments. But refering back to the question I honestly think that Keilwerth horn would be better than the Antigua. Woodwind brasswind horns that they make arn't good (i know that as a fact because i've played on them). The best thing that you can do is go to a music store and try out horns and find the one that fits for YOU. And john sorry if I did something to offend you I'm just trying to offer some advice.

Reply To Post AIM

11. by WMcLean
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

I think we need to be aware of the question of the start of this thread. Any recommendations for a sax around the $1000 level. As an owner of an Antigua Winds soprano sax I can certainly say that I have been happy with it. As is true with anything in life, you get what you pay for. If you have more than $1000 to spend, and want a better sax, then look at the brands mentioned above. If you are willing for the pros and cons of buying a used sax, your $1000 may buy you a different level of sax ... but the new vs vintage debate is well covered in other threads. You could do worse than buy an Antigua Winds soprano sax. If possible, buy it in person and have it set up for you by the person you buy it from.

Reply To Post