People who quit band for ATHLETICS in small (3A) Schools

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Band Quiters

I thought this read "Band Quilters" but I've also had a few beers tonight. Which is sad since at the rate of my comsumption lately a few shouldn't make a difference - I should have a tolerence built up somewhat. well that and I'm not in high school anymore... BUT WHATS THE BIG DEAL? Band isn't for everyone, sports aren't for everyone, and not everyone is good at math. We just need to know that not everyone else has the same goals/ideals as ourselves and move on. I don't hold quitting band (or anything) agenst someone, unless they are a total loser, but that's another deal all together. Actually, people who quit band for sports are smart. You have ALL your life to be in band, but a limited amount of life to do sports. I'll argue that it's wise to get that out of the way, right away, then do something like band later. Unless you're really very untra good at band, then by all means stay in, but those people would be serious about band, and not so serious about sports... =) Andy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

"You have ALL your life to be in band..." There are not bands everywhere... Small communities have a hard time getting enough people together for a decent band. If the student can handle the academics, along with athletics and band, I recommend staying with it, as long as possible...through college at least. Solos can happen forever, bands are more difficult.

Reply To Post

1. by straightj23
        (103 posts)

18 years ago

I have a friend that goes to another school that's quitting band and she's selling me her clarinet.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by KingNecron
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

Unfortunately, we can't hold people dropping out of band against them, but Sax Mumsy makes a good point. I didn't start playing sports frequently until college, and that's still very casual (pick-up games of basketball, etc.). Staying in band worked out great, and I'm much more athletic at 21 than I was at 16.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Saxalope
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

Our high school loses half their band people during freshman year, usually in the Fall. The band director & booster club want to be #1 in the state and anyone not that fanatical drops for either money reasons ($460 in fees plus a new sax and school hasn't even started! And there are hints they will be demanding more.) or time conflicts/wanting a life outside marching. There is no alternative band class, so students who are not rich or superstars just get forced out of music.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Band Quitters

Being number one does NOT require a new sax!!! Several "old" saxophones have better sound than many of the new horns. Plus, I would hope that any dedicated musician with decent skills would be eligible for a scholarship for those fees... But then, your band director may be more interested in image than in sound. If so, I pity that director and your band.

Reply To Post

4. by Saxalope
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Band Quitters

I was unclear - the 'new' sax was actually a Shooting Stars Conn made in USA (good old student horn). We needed a cosemtically challenged horn because the band director wanted everyone to set their instruments on the PAVEMENT. The band director's response to parent protests was: 'Just go buy another 'beater' instrument for marching.' Since my son wanted to switch to Tenor, we got another horn. While the Conn was a smaller investment than the Yamaha Alto, we weren't too keen on the Conn getting banged up either. I finally made a canvas pad in the school colors for him to throw on the ground during breaks. The band leader hasn't objected yet. Sorry - No scholarships in HighSchool. :-( At this school the adults in charge are more interested in Marching trophies than in music. And the parents are regarded as endless cash fountains. On the upside, my son has already made some good friends in band (Oh yeah, we don't call it 'band' - it is 'regiment'). Maybe next year the guys can defect from the school regiment and form their own garage band.

Reply To Post