Saxophone Forum

by DaveUK1965
(14 posts)
18 years ago

Spot re-lacquer

As you might have seen from a post below, I've got a new baritone. 1933, Sioma - it needs some love and attention, believe me. ;-) The usual pin dents and scratches and missing lacquer. After some initial polishing (the crook was bare brass...... ) it's coming up to a mirror finish. I'm considering relacquering the now polished patches - just to stop them oxidising again. Does anyone have any experience of this ? It's not a classic baritone, not worth a fortune, but it does have a nice tone. Doubt I'll devalue it by relacquering - and having the entire instrument stripped, polished and relacquered is financially out of the question ! Cheers all Dave

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Spot re-lacquer

Hi Dave, Since all you want to do is curb any discoloring or degradation from skin oil etc. on the newly exposed bare brass spots, I'd just shoot them with a thin coat of touch up lacquerer available from www.ferreestools.com. This is clear lacquer, not gold dyed, so a color match isn't going to take place( they do offer several shades of the latter, but these requite that you shoot them out of a paint sprayer), but it will give an air/water tight seal. Should you have the idea of using an automotive lacquer, don't. These are formulated to spray a much too think coat, and can make a mess for such a small touch up. For a quick fix, a thin spraying clear gloss finish such as a Hobby clear coat lacquer spray finish like those made by Testors, Floquil and Humbrol (not the enamel ones!) will work in a pinch.

Reply To Post

1. by DaveUK1965
      (14 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Spot re-lacquer

Thanks again, Saxis ! - looks like I'm going to have a very busy weekend here ! ;-) Of course, it's half the fun of owning a vintage sax - or car - or bike - or anything.

Reply To Post