Saxophone Forum

by KactuSax
(21 posts)
18 years ago

New Cannonball Big Bell ???

Hey guys, I recently joined this forum. I have been scanning this sight for a couple years and finally decided I might as well join. I am lookin for a new axe and wondered if there were any Cannonball players out there or just some cats who had some experience with them. Before you respond I have already decided not to go with Yamaha ( metal too soft for me) or Selmer ( played a bunch and they all sound stuffy to me). I am currently playing a Noblet (tenor) from as best as I can tell 40's-50's. Any input is appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New Cannonball Big Bell ???

I agree with what you said about Yamaha and Selmer, and if you picked up on that, then I don't think you'd be happy with a Cannonball, coming from my experience. I bought one on the side a while back to see it was all the hype I'd heard, and I wasn't pleased. It was hard to get any kind of smooth sound out of it, the lacquer was ugly, and after a few months it just started to fall apart. The silver on the neck wore off, and screws started coming out. At first sight though they're great, a nice looking case, two necks, etc, but they aren't even close to a midgrade Yamaha. Have you played a Yanagisawa? Good solid metal, and a clear resonant tone. Try the 991 model, I think you might like it. The only qualm I have with them is that their horns are designed for tiny-handed Japanese people, and I have giant hands. I'm mainly an alto player though, so a tenor probably wouldn't be so bad. I don't own a Yani tenor. The Yamaha thing is hard to avoid, but Selmers are all about the right one. I've played SIII's that like you said are very stuffy, but I've also found a few that played great. Those refs play quite nicely, but for less you could go by a Super 20, or even a Mark VI. I hope you were able to sort my unorganized jumble of opinions into some helpful advice ; )

Reply To Post

1. by KactuSax
      (21 posts)

18 years ago

I have played the 82z and I really liked it, but like I said the metal is just too soft. I did get to play a cannonball alto ( i believe it was the raven, black nickel brush finish) it spoke like a dream. But it was a new horn and I dont want a horn that is gonna break down on me anytime soon. I will try that yani you spoke of. thanks

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

cannonballs are junk, and nothing else. i have played all the models, or i believe i have. and they are nothing more than step up horns that look cool.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by KactuSax
      (21 posts)

18 years ago

Can I ask you about your experience....and the experience of anyone else that replies as well..thanks..sorry again I haven't really followed any of you guys closely. thanks

Reply To Post

1. by SaxyQue
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, Its neat that I see other people who have picked up one and played with them. I'm 20... and I was at a McPhaden music store looking to purchase a Tenor. And the store clurk told me... Look we have these new models in. Wide Lip bell. He handed me an alto to pluck with. I had my bag of mouthpieces with me. (saprano, alto, tenor, 2beri, tuba and trumpet. mouthpieces) I'm sitting in the sound proof room blowing away and he and like 3 other clerks come in with 2 more saxophones. It was remarkably beautiful. Even in the little 6' x 4' room. I almost dropped a couple of thousand on the spot for one. LOL.. although my budget wasn't answering back. I can say. I'm going to hold up on a purchase and save for one. The bigger bell at the bottom which just isn't the bell, it starts down at the bow of the sax and actually is wider allows for you to play the lower register more smoother and easier. And I DEFINATELY would recomend it to anyone who's looking to purchase soon... ~Saxyque

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by SaxyQue
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, Its neat that I see other people who have picked up one and played with them. I'm 20... and I was at a McPhaden music store looking to purchase a Tenor. And the store clurk told me... Look we have these new models in. Wide Lip bell. He handed me an alto to pluck with. I had my bag of mouthpieces with me. (saprano, alto, tenor, 2beri, tuba and trumpet. mouthpieces) I'm sitting in the sound proof room blowing away and he and like 3 other clerks come in with 2 more saxophones. It was remarkably beautiful. Even in the little 6' x 4' room. I almost dropped a couple of thousand on the spot for one. LOL.. although my budget wasn't answering back. I can say. I'm going to hold up on a purchase and save for one. The bigger bell at the bottom which just isn't the bell, it starts down at the bow of the sax and actually is wider allows for you to play the lower register more smoother and easier. And I DEFINATELY would recomend it to anyone who's looking to purchase soon... ~Saxyque

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

I am not a big fan of Cannonball horns. I am currently playing a Cannonball sop and am constantly tightening screws and messing with the alignment. I will disagree with the Yamaha statement. They seem to be one of the greatest horn manufacturers on the planet (I play a Z on alto and 62 on tenor). I have played or owned any brand you can think of and these are my weapons of choice. From hear say and experience the Cannonball will have problems later on in life (as will any horn) I feel you would be better suited with a Yamaha, Yani, or vintage Selmer. Tracy

Reply To Post

2. by SaxyQue
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

OH ok.. well... Like i said.. in my statement Tracy. The only times I've played the cannonball was in a sound proof room of the store.. so actually I haven't had the time to actually feel the bumps n bruises of long term play with the cannonball. I do own a yamaha alto..though..n i luv it. I suppose I should have not sugested that horn so STRONGLY with our serious knowledge.. Thanks. But over all... my first response to the horn was wonderful. But to each his own.. i suppose we all have our own sugestions..

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by KactuSax
          (21 posts)

18 years ago

I guess I also need to clarify. I have played plenty of Yamaha horns and I have had great success with them. I have found that they do not stand up to my playing. I do not have the lightest touch. But I do approve of the Yamaha horn itself. thanks again for all the responses. I am assuming the Cannonball horns you have played are the pro model not the student models....

Reply To Post

4. by SaxyQue
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

Well, Indeed... YES. LOL>. i mean I'm in no longer need for a student model. I am a little more advanced now. Going on 11 years of playing under my belt. I don't just play the sax though. I play all four, currently own three, borrowing the berisax, cause I cannot afford one. But also the Piano, Guitar, Trumpet, Tuba, French horn, and oboe. All of which I've sat down and taught myself over the years. But again..the Yamaha, I've had for many of years.. my first baby.. my alto. Although its a student model its self... It has stood up next to the rest that I own. I just recently bought my Saprano... very lovely piece.. if you look at my information..and look at the picture..that is me...with my NEW saprano.. im so happy. But its all good... we all have our own . . .

Reply To Post Yahoo!