Saxophone Forum

by gemster
(51 posts)
18 years ago

Classical Sax tone...How?

My teacher has given me a baroque piece to learn on my tenor, but I can't seem to get a consistently clear tone, on the higher notes especially. Should I change my embochure, and if so, how? I play a tjj "the horn" revolution II with a yamaha 5* mouthpiece. I'd jut be really grateful for any help anyone can give me.... : )

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Classical Sax tone...How?

Embochure problems aside (as I have no idea how to diagnose them over the internet), possibly the best thing you can do is to work on developing a tonal concept. I think listening to classical tenor saxophone players like James Houlik, Roger Greenberg, and such would really be helpfull in that reguard.

Reply To Post

1. by gemster
      (51 posts)

18 years ago

hehe, my embochure is fine really, i wondered if there was a particular shape favoured for classical playing. Thaks for the musicians, i'll definately give than all a listen!

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

18 years ago

well the first thing to shoot for is consistent tone, achieve this through long tones. also, what voicing do you use. i like the ee voicing and you want to try that

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Conclave
      (45 posts)

18 years ago

Try a Selmer S-90 mouthpiece and practice long tones with the proper breath support in the upper register.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

18 years ago

Unclear tone is due to lack of air support ( not what jazz guys call support that is different ) the support that lets one play with a very loose embouchure with hardly any lip over the bottom teeth. To practice this play with octave key D E F G and loosen the embouchure until it sound as if you are playing multiphonics ,,, The support that does not cause any change of color as you move up the scale. The support that permits octave jumps without any lipping the support that permits notes to move from one to the other without any holes . Any mouthpiece will do as long as it is decent s-90 or C* or Vand A17 or Rousseau or any well made mouthpiece with a med chamber ,,med table length ,,med opening ,,,with med reed,,, the rest is the indian not the arrow.

Reply To Post