Saxophone Forum

by widetrack
(1 post)
18 years ago

lost left thumb

does anyone know any way to help a sax player get back to playing after losing about half of his left thumb? I'm wondeering if there is any prosthetic, pad, extension or other device that can help me get my hand close to a normal position while playing. All suggestions appreciated. WT

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: lost left thumb

I would suggest speaking to someone who deals with prosthetics. It will be interesting to learn to control whatever extension is possible without the benefit of the touch sensation. I pray you receive whatever gift you need to be able to play again.

Reply To Post

2. by saxyjeff
    (25 posts)

18 years ago

Im not sure if you will find a satisfactory prothetic device. HOWEVER I can thnk of two options for you: 1) Find someone who does QUALITY sax repair/remanufacturing that can fashion/engineer for you a new octave key . First you will have to move the left thumb rest over to where your "new/current" thumb placement is. Then you'll know where and how much the octave key will have to be repositioned. 2) Forget the octave key mechanism. Move or add a new thumb rest. Now for the tricky, but ultimately very REWARDING part. The first Adolph saxes did not have octave keys. saxophonists learned to vary pitches and octaves by speeding up the air, or overblowing. When I began learning how to play in the altissimo ranges my mentor showed me about overblowing and multiphonics. I'm still learning. But very easily (well it seems very eay now) I was able to play up and down the entire scale of the sax up to false fingering high E,F, and G without using the octave key. At will. With my new Keilwerth tenor and alto matched with vintage berg stainless duckbill mouthpieces and Plasticover (tenor) and, unbelievably, a Fibracell (alto) reeds I was able to finger a low Bb and, without using the octave key I played: low Bb, middle Bb, high F#, high Bb, high D (normally the D with the one palm key and octave). That was a first on the alto today. effortless AND at will. Fingerng an overblowing all keys will allow you to play your horn. It requires more work but with the right teacher, patience, practice and determination (plus proper mouthpiece and reed combination) you may discover that your "handicap" could be your ticket to exploration an mastery of the sax. It could be a lot worse...could have lost one of your other fingers and then you would have a real problem. Good ole stumpy can still do the main job of supporting your horn in your grasp and you can become Lenny Pickett with your new skills at mastering your embrouchure and manipulating air flow and airspeed to get the notes nd sound you need. I bet the folks here on the forum can direct you to an instructor and/or repair person to help you modify your axe for you. The folks at saxquest could probably do the engineering for you , or at least refer you to someone. hope this was helpful, Jeff Just a thought....

Reply To Post

1. by saxyjeff
      (25 posts)

18 years ago

Another thought. Depending on how much of your thumb joint you have left, the repair person/machinist can fashion a "cup" like prosthetic attachement that is permanently soldered to the body of the tube (like your original thumbrest) and then a tube, or piece of metal stem could extend from that, approximating the normal length of you original thumb (can measure your right thumb for reference) and the cup on the end could more securely anchor what's left of the appendage. This "normal" distance would also allow your hand to assume a normal palm posture and allow normal (hopefully) use of the palm for the palm keys. Of course the cup would prevent easy access to even a modified thumb octave key. But while I'm thinking.... so what. If the overblowing thing is too difficult at first. How about using the false fingerings for the high E, F and F#? Those are relatively easy for any "good quality regulated" horn. The third outer or second (E) palm key could be modified so that it didn't open a key pad at all (seal the pad permaently). cannibalize one of thos keys and adapt it so that is now is your octave key. This way you would have your thumb stump immobilized for functional horn positioning and the unnecessary palm key could be used as an octave key. sorry....Im rehab physician and I couldn't help myself Jeff

Reply To Post

1. by saxyjeff
        (25 posts)

18 years ago

The cup and stem could be angled to conform to the exact angle of your previous normal architecture. The cup could be lined with rubber, latex, wool or anything to cushion your stump so that irritation was minimalized. very interesting topic

Reply To Post