Saxophone Forum

by goofy_boots
(5 posts)
18 years ago

Super-Flat Soprano Sax

Hello everyone, I bought a $500 Selmer student soprano sax. It actually produces a nice full sound but almost all the notes are about 50-60 cents flat. I didn't notice until I tried playing it in big band one day...sick! I'm an experienced clarinetist so I know all about lipping up and that stuff, but even if I play so tight I can barely produce sound it's still about 20 cents flat. Is there anyway a technician can basically make the entire horn play 50-60 cents sharper? p.s. I am still playing the stock mouthpiece, but I doubt just changing the mouthpiece will bring the pitch up a quarter-step.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Super-Flat Soprano Sax

Grease the cork up and shove the mpc up as far as you can or sand the cork down a bit. It could just be too long shanked mpc Dave

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

"Grease the cork up and shove the mpc up as far as you can or sand the cork down a bit. It could just be too long shanked mpc Dave" or they could have to take a hacksaw out and make the horn shorter... =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Conclave
        (45 posts)

18 years ago

I have had other players tell me that they have had the tip of their necks cut off, i.e. where the cut out part is. Other players have said this is nonsense. In the end, athe soprano is a hard instrument to play well, so you need a professional horn to make the work much easier.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I also have to push my soprano mouthpiece on much further than it easily goes, so I secod Dave's advice.

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Best to leave the hacksaw bit out as the neck end should have a lip for the cork edge and you may change mpc's and then the neck may be a tad short!! Dave

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

well dave, if you really really really wanted, it wouldn't be too bad to solder a new ring on the end of the neck. but anyway, my first post was a joke, but it is funny that it has been done. I'd look for a different mouthpiece.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

I've had the same trouble with several sopranos I've played. The only thing that would work for me to bring the upper register into tune was push the mouthpiece in as far as possible. This works ok but you really have to relax the lower register or it will be flat. The Yamaha 675 and the Selmer Mark Vl are two of the sopranos I've owned. The Yamaha played best in tune of these two. A lot of people play soprano perfectly in tune so it must be me. My solution for this problem has been not playing soprano. I'm a tenor player anyway. (not much help from me I'm afraid) .........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by goofy_boots
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

Problem solved - I bought sanded the cork down significantly and can push my mouthpiece down far enough to play in tune. I also bought a real mouthpiece and dont use the stock one anymore. I got the new Jody Jazz ESP metal mouthpiece...it's really quite good.

Reply To Post