Saxophone Forum

by Eytcheson
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Value of a sax

My father played with some of the lessor known bands in the 30's and did a bit on WDAY in North Dakota Playing a Alto sax which I have inheirted. The Sax is Sr# 112665 ,low pitch, pat # Dec 8 1914. On the front it says Buescher Elkhart Ind. It silver and plays great. The tone is so true. Question: does anyone know the worth and history. Ya I am searching for my roots.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Value of a sax

The tone is so true! Exactly why Buescher called this model the True Tone. It was made in 1922. The value depends highly on the condition. They are really not as valuable as one would hope, even though they are a great vintage sax. In good condition for the age, they're worth about $750-$900. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Eytcheson
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you very much Jim. My daughter had it reconditioned in New Mexico. New pads and cork mostly. She was offered $3,000.00 for it by the people that worked on it. Maybe this was a collectors price tag? Your estimate sounds more realistic and I will go with that. Again thank you.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I've seen a couple True Tone tenors that were exceptionally nice. One of them, a 1925 that looked like new, had all new pads, corks, etc. sold for $2850. A 1923 tenor in similar condition sold for $2700. True Tone tenors usually bring more money than altos. The nicest True Tone alto I've seen, which had been cleaned, polished and completely overhauled (new corks, pads, felt, springs, etc.) and looked like new sold for $1475. To give you a better idea. Horn for parts, pieces missing, etc. $50-$100 Dings, dents, scratches, but complete $75-$150 Action free, complete, needs overhaul $150-$350 Average condition, complete, but needs some attention $350-$500 Better than average, playable but needs some work $500-$700 Good condition, complete and playable, needs little more than some adjusting and fine-tuning $700-$900 Exceptional condition, nice finish, nearly new pads, corks, etc. $900-$1200 Near mint condition, exceptional finish, new pads, corks, etc. $1200-$1500 Sounds like yours may even fall into the exceptional catagory $900-$1200

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Eytcheson
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you Jim. I also collect coins and looking at this sax is like looking at a silver dollar. There is more value to me being it was my fathers. If I may ask, is there a site that could trace the history of it by sr#?

Reply To Post

2. by Rufio
          (1 post)

17 years ago

I have been given a true tone saxapone pat 1914 ser: 192566 and I have been wondering whether it is worth giving to someone to do a propper over haul on it. Its been playing perfectly. I usually play Alto but have been interested in getting a tenor when this one dropped in my lap. sound wise there is no problem with it however it looks pretty scungy. For the sake of keeping up its condition and value should I get it checked up? nick

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

True Tone is generally a very good saxophone, and worth keeping up. I wouldn't recommend an overhaul if things are working fine. My recommendation would be merely to keep it clean, so no further damage occurs. Wipe it down regularly with non-abrasive cloth. Just my opinion, though. Good luck!

Reply To Post

4. by Eytcheson
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with sax mom. If it is not broke don't fix it. I did have mine recondition but had to. even at that it is worth $3000.00 Aside from that we are talking about a 93 year old piece of history. Just the wonder of who may have played it, when and where. I don't mean to confuse you but if it is not your treasure, sell it or trade it. I would wish the latter.

Reply To Post

2. by jessehillmann
        (1 post)

17 years ago

I also have a Buescher saxophone in great condition the serial # is 232621 it is a true tone low pitch with the date dec.8, 1914. I would like to ask the same question if anyone knows the approximate value of this specific piece and history of the sax. thanks

Reply To Post

1. by mintsax
          (1 post)

11 years ago

i also have a busscher sax in mint condition i would love to sell its numbers ran from 1924-25 its beenn in the family for most of its life and its just sitting around no dents dings hasn orig. strap book holder and case some elementry books... its a true tone low pitch alto if interested email me at [email protected] names jon and put your offer in the subject line

Reply To Post