Saxophone Forum

by sprintf
(14 posts)
18 years ago

Notes below low D on tenor sax

hi all, i have problem palying the notes below the low D (inclusive). it sounds an octave higher. however if i started from from high note then played the low notes sound fine. what should i do to correct this. i have checked the following... ** my emboucher is not changed it remains the same ** front upper teeth slightly rested on the mouthpiece ** sides of the mouth pulled in ** jaw well dropped to let the reed resonate easily ** mouthpiece, ligature all check fine ** my local sax repair guy doesnt have that problem on my sax ** tried various mouthpieces it is frustrating me please help. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by warmslowair
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Notes below low D on tenor sax

Well it sounds like you've tried a decent amount of things to correct the overtone problem. In my experience however it was almoste allways a leak towards the bell of the horn. if the problem isn't mechinism my guess would be the air you put through the horn is causing it. practice blowing slow warm air through the horn.this very much helps with creating lower tones. likewise, if you ever have problems with the upper register try using faster cooler air. an all to simple but extremly true concept. -Greg

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Same thing happened to my old YAS and i took it to see if i needed to replace any pads, i had to replace one and my whole lower octave worked incredibly afterwards...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

18 years ago

A lot of tenors players tend to drop their jaw on lower notes to make them easier, but you really shouldn't do that, as it will throw off your tuning. I don't know if that's what you meant about letting the reed resonate or not. What you're getting is an overtone, and the way I get overtones is closing my throat, so logic would say try opening your throat more to get rid of the overtones.

Reply To Post

3. by saxplaya81
    (110 posts)

18 years ago

agrees with opening throat, also practice long tones everyday, holding those low notes for 8 to 12 counts to strengthen your emboucher, thats part of the reason your repair guy doesnt have a problem, he's been playin so long and his chops are tight, also have him do a leak check on the horn to make sure all the pads are sealing.

Reply To Post

4. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

first thing to do, have somebody else play the horn to make sure that its not the horn. ive noticed that a lot of the time, if it doesnt play low, its not a lower pad, its one further up on the horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Could it be your tongue? I started working on overtones a few months back (I'm still pretty new to the sax) and I've found that it helps to be aware of tongue shape and position for just about every aspect of playing. Other than that the only thing I can think of is trying the next softer reed...

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Blow through the horn. Think about how far that air has to travel to get out of the bell. Make sure you put the keys down simultaneously. When you clap the low Bb, those fingers must close the holes all together. your little fingers have to be strong. Also think the low notes. Mindset is important.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by syrasax
      (75 posts)

18 years ago

Try taking a tad more mpc. Making sure you all the reed you can vibrate is important too.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
        (101 posts)

18 years ago

Everybody has good suggestions. Jamterry: nice, I like to think like that. It's like visualization. I would also suggest blowing from the diaphragm or belly and think "warm air".

Reply To Post

1. by sprintf
          (14 posts)

18 years ago

WOW!!! i am overwhelemed by the response. thx soooo much guys they are ALL good advice! i'll try a few long notes and check if the throat open/close is causing it and will get back to you tomorrow guys. once again thx v.much, much apreciated!! oh by the way i have regularly trained(and still do) my facial muscles especialy the ones needed for embucher for the last 2 years: upto strength 4 vandoren and long notes, jet out water and control the trajectory of the waterflow and rate etc -also my fingers are solid as i do play other instruments and occastional forearm curls

Reply To Post

2. by sprintf
          (14 posts)

18 years ago

golferguy, wht i meant about my emboucher is that it IS constant in its configuration regardless of wht note i play, jaw is always dropped to let the reed vibrate freely, i.e i am NOT altering emboucher for different notes

Reply To Post

3. by sprintf
          (14 posts)

18 years ago

sorry about the 3 seperate posts. i have a feeling golferguy675 may have identified my problem, fingers crossed, cannot wait until i try it out tomorrow AM. also leak test was ok no leaks detectd, pads are OK. its the throat that have not covered yet. it did cross my mind that it has to do with the air stream so was adjusting the tounges position alone but not throat as i thought the throat would always be open :(

Reply To Post

4. by Mike P.
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Notes below low D on tenor sax (Small Leak)

One more suggestion because I have had this precise problem. Go ahead and close all of the keys to low D and then I would like for you to with all the keys closed see if the G# key moves at all so you are going to have to use your pinky on the left hand while all other keys are closed and try and tril the G# key...you don't have to play any notes...in fact you should be looking at the key. If that G# key moves at all, then you only need to get a small screwdriver and tighten the screw that holds that key down. I suspect that what you have is a small and I mean small leak but it is enough to make the lower register extremely frustrating. You shouldn't have to drop your jaw at all to hit the low end and could even get subtones if every key is sealing properly. Give it a try.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Nice to meet you Stiles B !!!! Great to see a positive attitude like yours. I like what you say about the warm air. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by sprintf
        (14 posts)

18 years ago

sorry guys i only had about an hour before work to try out what was suggested by golferguy675. so didnt give me long enough to decide if it was the throat issue however i am off for 4 days from sunday and i'll definitely try it out and give you guys a feedback will also try out the G# key suggested thx

Reply To Post

4. by sprintf
        (14 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Notes below low D on tenor sax [SOLVED!!!]

relief at laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!!! yes golferguy675 was SPOT ON. it WAS my throat. i noticed that i was tightening my throat as i played the lower notes. relaxed it and tried it a few times and had about 60-70% success at getiing the right note from start so am gonna be concentrating and practicing until i can get it right at will. overtone and normal tone THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYONE COMMENTED!! I AM GLAD I JOINED THIS FORUM :)

Reply To Post

5. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Notes below low D on tenor sax [SOLVED!!!]

That's what this place is all about, I'm glad I could be of some help.

Reply To Post