Saxophone Forum

by sax buddah
(4 posts)
21 years ago

steve goodson unison tenor

Just returned from steve goodson's shop here in new orleans w/ goodson model tenor in tow to try out - have not yet even put a mouthpiece to it. looking for any comments, pro or con, comparisons to other contemporary models, etc.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by DCJazz
    (1 post)

20 years ago

Re: steve goodson unison tenor

I am interested to hear what you think of the SG model tenor. How does it compare to others you have liked, and do all those innovations really mean anything? Also, what is the price range for the SG's. I find that they are not usually listed on the major internet sites.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

I have a hard time beleiving that you are NOT steve goodson, seeing how as you joined VERY recently, and your first post was that steve goodson model saxes actually do exist.

Reply To Post

1. by sax buddah
        (4 posts)

20 years ago

I'm not steve; we live in the same town & I've purchased from him & repairs before so when it came time to shop for a new horn, naturally I talked to him. I did not buy the horn. it's a very nice instrument, but I am looking for something significantly distinguishable from my early 70's keilwerth/couf superba 1 (which I am not going to sell). the SG model, not by accident, is designed to project a solid sound in a manner not too far off from the couf. if I didn't have my existing horn and was looking for something serious with a nice feel & build I'd likely be using the SG.

Reply To Post

2. by sax buddah
      (4 posts)

20 years ago

I didn't buy the horn only because it wasn't that distinctively different in sound from my early 70's keilwerth/couf superba 1, which I'm not selling. the SG is a well built horn; very smooth to handle across the entire range; it projects a very solid sound. I don't feel that any one of the innovations are a giant leap forward, but collectively they give the player confidence in his investment, a sense that one is not likely to have to adjust his style and mess with mechanically frustrating shortcomings and tweaks and over the years.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

I stand corrected then, it just seems that many people who actually RECEIVED a working sg model joined the news group recently at the time, then bug out a little whiles afterword

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

So what was he asking in terms of price?

Reply To Post

1. by tri-tonesub
          (8 posts)

20 years ago

I recently purchased a Unison Silver Satin Goodson model tenor for ~$2300. I played it vs. a 99,xxx Mark VI, a selmer USA, an old Yamaha-61 w/a yani neck, a 220,000 Mark VI, and a Keilwerth SX-90 silver horn. As far as intonation goes, I dig the SG the most. The SG action is tight then a mug, so that was something I liked. To me the VI's were the best horns; however, for a 1500 dollar difference, I'll take the Unison Goodson...it wasn't that much of a difference. It is a very bright horn though. I use a HR Berg 115/2 and still sound somewhat bright on it. If you're looking for a modern sound this is the axe for you. Very free blowing horn though. My overtones are coming along w/ time.

Reply To Post

2. by Tenor12
          (1 post)

20 years ago

So what sort of pads and resonators did you get that it still sounds bright? I am just wondering. I am thinking of getting the "mellower" combination he is selling. Seems I have always had better luck brightening up a darker sounding horn with a bright mouthpiece, than trying to dampen an already bright horn with a more tame mouthpiece. Thanks ....

Reply To Post

3. by tri-tonesub
          (8 posts)

20 years ago

Tenor12- Now that I've had the horn for a while longer, I've adjusted to it and darkened it up by relaxing my emboucher a little more. If you want the darkest sound, I'd recommend getting one of the satin finishes on the horn, w/ the kangaroo pads. I have plastic resonators on mine. If you want a vintage dark sound, you might look into the old Conn 10ms -- great horns for a reasonable price; however, your best bet w/ those would be eBay, and older horns, no matter Mark IV's, SBA's, Conn, etc., should probably be tried out first due to inconsistencies. At least w/ the Goodson model you know you're getting a new horn.

Reply To Post

4. by tri-tonesub
          (8 posts)

20 years ago

I stand corrected...I have metal resonators on mine.

Reply To Post

5. by tri-tonesub
          (8 posts)

20 years ago

Has anyone else tried one of these axes out?

Reply To Post