Saxophone Forum

by lovemytenor
(6 posts)
21 years ago

Vibrato and scales

I was wondering how you vibrato. I undertand what it is, but I don't know how to do it, or how you make it tight and pretty. Also, does anyone know where I could get jazz scales to practice?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FISHERMAN
    (31 posts)

21 years ago

Re: Vibrato and scales

www.saxshed.com Check here they have everything and it is printable. Pretty awesome website.

Reply To Post

2. by horatio
    (1 post)

21 years ago

You use your lower jaw to produce vibrato. Some people have a harder time than others with vibrato but a typical use for vibrato in jazz is you start the note straight (no vibrato) and then you add the vibrato, the vibrato should be slow at first and then you speed it up slightly near the end of the note. This is called "jug" vibrato in jazz circles. A good way to get control of your vibrato is to pick a scale and play each note as a long tone and start out with a slow vibrato and slowly increase the speed of it and then back to a slow vibrato. Don't make it too deep of a vibrato or it will sound awful. Tape yourself to hear what you sound like. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Note that some vibrato will affect the volume and some vibrato will modulate the tone. Practice to sense and know the difference.

Reply To Post

4. by Spunky2sax75
    (75 posts)

20 years ago

I know this thread is ANCIENT, but I saw it and wanted to respond because I didn't like the idea of geting vibrato with your jaw. I use my throat and I think it sounds better. I guess the best way i can describe it would be to push, then pull, then push, then pull, etc. with the air. Thats how I do it and I have tried it with my jaw also, but I like that way better. Try both ways and try your own ways and see which way works for you I guess is more important than listening to us, but give it a try and see what you think.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Oh man, the best book for jazz modes patterns ands scales. Well actually, there's two of them. Both of them are at Jazzbooks.com (Jamey Aebersold's site). First, Patterns for Jazz. It's written by for people; Jerry Cocker, Gary Campell, two other people I can't remember. Then, the big boy book: All Around the Horn. I do not remember who it's by, but I should. It's downstairs, I just don't want to go after it; I used it every day in college. It's basically every mode and scale jazz has to it's name. Or classical for that matter. Have you ever heard Kenny Garret? If you've ever wondered how that guys is so incredible, this book is how he hears things.

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

20 years ago

Are you talking about All Around the Horn by Walt Weiskopf. It's well organized and doesn't leave much out. You should be able to do jaw and throat vibrato. There are places to use each. Although jaw vibrato seems to me to be the more commonly used in jazz.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yep, that's the book!

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I believe that jaw vibrato is the easiest to learn and control, but it doesn't work particularly well on closed tip mouthpieces unless the player is using a stiff reed and has great control. Throat vibrato is more pitch modulation - jaw vibrato is more amplitude modulation (FM vs. AM - how about that?)

Reply To Post