Saxophone Forum

by othernews
(6 posts)
20 years ago

Who I might be.

Hello all. I play sax, or sometimes piano, in bands in UK (sometimes elsewehere if I can get it) and do my own repairs - and sometimes other people's. I love engineering and design and woodwork. I also write music, and work with others who write music to try to help them hear it live. I like to hear mine live too. I recently managed to get an alto with what appears to be the very first fingering system (damned difficult). The guy said it had been up his loft for 25 years, but I put in 3 new pads and it palyed! I'm based in the metropolis, and not very well off, but I also sometimes slope off to the country. Well, what else?......... Othernews

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Who I might be.

How did the very first fingering system differ from modern instruments?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

is it an adolphe?

Reply To Post

1. by othernews
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

No it's not, so it's not the absolute first. It is (their spelling) a Universel Savanna. I also replied to Saxmom. I can actually play very basic tunes on it in C (conc. Eb) Hope that helps

Reply To Post

2. by othernews
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

The first indtruments only had one fingering for each note, and thus (for instance) the only way to get Bb is to play the A fingering and press the side key with your right hand. There is no articulated G#, so if you keep your little finger on the G# key and try to play a lower note either nothing comes out or you get a squeak. The instrument is hidden away at present, but as far as I remember it only goes down to bottom B instead of Bb, and only up to either D or D# at the top. It is also a much more rudimentary shape, very light, and absolutely beautifully made. If I notice anything else I will try to enlarge on this. The reason I find it very difficult to play is that I have been playing a very long time and I use every fingering a modern sax can offer except the third finger right hand F# key (and even that I once found a use for, and had to learn the part because of it). Some modern saxes don't have a coupler between bottom B and bottom C#, and because I play in some weird keys, I usually solder one on when first get an instrument (makes a C# arpeggio easy, for instance). Although my regular gigging tenor does not have one of those. There.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

they had a poor octave vent and didn't have automatic octave mechanisms.

Reply To Post

1. by othernews
          (6 posts)

20 years ago

In fact, my one has two octave keys - and that also makes it difficult. Of course, at the time it was probably all you could get, and therefore players would just learn to play them and not notice any particular problems. Had a fantastic gig at Bonnington Cafe last night. One of the few places in London communally owned and where jazz is uncommercial, hype-free and free of charge all at the same time. It was fun.

Reply To Post