Saxophone Forum

by sassysax
(3 posts)
20 years ago

Hiya

Hi to all, I am new here. I just bought a soprano sax, played YEARS ago. I have been playing trumpet and recently got my alto back from a kid that I let use through elementary/jr high school. Anyways, that sparked a new interest in the soprano I always wanted. I have forgotten a few things, and was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm having a terrible time finding music for soprano. I like to play in church, and the music book I have is for trumpet (Bb), there is a clarinet/tenor Bb book also available. No soprano. Which would work, if any? I have found I forgot things ilke this. I atleast remember just about all the fingerings. If music reads any Bb instrument, is that true? I have a friend who plays piano, and we like to play together. He has no clue what I need. I said I know where to turn. I have been lurking here for about a week. It's a great site, and everyone is so helpful here. Thank you saxquest, and members. Thanks, Sassysax

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Hiya

Most sops are in the key of Bb, yours is definately in Bb, if it is less than 60 years old. There is very little sop music, and the music that there is is extrmely hard, grade 5 and 6, never seen anything lower than that.

Reply To Post

1. by sassysax
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you saxman! Now I have one more question, would help me tremendously. I play for church, and my book is Bb for trumpet. They do not have one for soprano, would the other book Bb for clarinet and tenor sax work? Thanks a million. Sassysax

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

absolutely, you would want to use clarinet parts though because it can sound kind of funny when you are missing the bottom notes in a chord, and they are replaced by notes an octave higher. You should consider getting a C soprano, not only are these extremely fun to play (I am told.) But you will also be able to read off any vocal part or any piano part if there arent any ensembles. A C melody too, for the lower parts if you are interested in that. These are also extrmely fun to play. When I got mine, for about a month I would practice from about 5 to 10:30 JUST on C melody. Screwed my whole homework schedl up, now I never feel like doing it!

Reply To Post

1. by sassysax
          (3 posts)

20 years ago

LOL, it's easy to screw up a homework schedule. Sounds like the C soprano is something I am gonna look more into. That would be so great not having to worry about music any more. We have a TONS of piano music, and vocal. Thanks a million!

Reply To Post