Saxophone Forum

by karmalady
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Need help to find jazz mpc for pro sax

Alright, I transferred from a Conn 20M alto sax with a precision mpc and got a Selmer Super action 80 series 2 alto. I want a great mouth piece to go with it. So far I've tried using my precision mpc with the selmer and I can hit all of my notes. The thing is, I feel restricted as to how much air I can blow in my horn (I can't speak freely through my sax). I recently bought a Meyer 6M mpc because of all the good feedback I've heard of it. It gives me a bright sound like I wanted and a little easier to blow but I'm having difficulties hitting all my notes. I can't play my altissimo as easily. I'm also having difficulties understanding what tip size and facing I should get. The kind of sound I'm trying to get is bright, and smooth. A sound of Candy Dulfer mixed with Boney James. I play on Rico Jazz Select reeds size 3 and Vandoren Javas size 2 1/2. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Need help to find jazz mpc for pro sax

If you have the money...you could try an RPC, probably the baffle model, but I would call Ron up first and talk to him. The mouthpiece he made for me is killer...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Tbone
      (120 posts)

18 years ago

You could also check out the Jody Jazz pieces. ;-)

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

A question: I know nothing about the newer Conns, except that they're not supposed to be as good as the pre-1970 vintage Conns. However, vintage Conns are known for bigger sound than many other saxophones. Would some of the difficulty in the switch be the saxophone rather than the mouthpiece? Is it just more difficult to get the bigger sound out of the Selmer?

Reply To Post

1. by karmalady
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

It's a very big switch but my selmer is great! The key response and everything works well. I took it to the shop for a check up and it's working good as new. My conn does have that natural "big" sound. It is difficult to get a clear even response on my selmer with the meyer but with my other mouthpiece it's easy.

Reply To Post

2. by karmalady
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

I've been looking at the jody jazz(HR). What do you know about it?

Reply To Post

2. by Borski
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Selmer Paris Metal Jazz C mouthpiece that I'm looking to get rid of, if you can learn to play on it you can a very easy bright sound, and it hits all the notes on even my junk horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by selmerfan
      (67 posts)

18 years ago

karmalady, you might want to consider spending another $50-100 and having that Meyer "blueprinted" There are many complaints about the newer Meyers not being consistent and congruent in the tip, railings, and table. Let someone like Doc Tenney spend some time with it and I'm pretty sure you'll like it more. Other than that, if you like the Meyer, you might really like the Vandoren V16 A5 or A6. I have a very good older Meyer and I have students playing these Vandorens and they aren't quite as good as mine, but they are very, very good. selmerfan

Reply To Post