Saxophone Forum

by treesfig
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Whats the difference between the Selmer AS300 and AS500?

Does anyone know the difference between the Selmer AS300 and the Aristocrat AS500 or just AS500? my daughter is starting to play band and is a student and her teacher recommends we get Selmer AS300.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Whats the difference between the Selmer AS300 and AS500?

No offense but that teacher sounds like an idiot...Selmer USA's are not good horns...not even for beginners IMO...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by GracieJiu-Jitsu
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Look if your going to get a selmer, get the best Like Mark 6 or a super action 80, at least this way if your daughter ends up quiting you can sell and get some money back.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

Oops! Maybe you should check the date of the question... it was asked over a year ago...

Reply To Post

1. by GracieJiu-Jitsu
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

oops

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

CountSpatula, any time you call someone an idiot, you are being offensive, even if you say, "no offense." Rather, you could say, "In no way do I agree with that recommendation..." and then explain why.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Mom, Furthermore, I don't believe CountSpatula's insight on horns amounts to anything more than mere bollocks.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

That's just me.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Nah, the "no offense" cancels it out 8-) Sorry Sax_Mom, I just say what comes to my mind, and I "highly disagree" with anyone if they say that they are good student horns... But I mean, of course I could be wrong like John thinks. I only get my opinion from new students that come to our band, sit last chair, springs break, pads leak, screws fall out, teachers with Dr.s Degree in music becoming frustraited about the 2nd sax part sounding so horrible. And not necesarilly bad players, they can play anything our director puts infront of them.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Saxall
        (17 posts)

17 years ago

Selmer A300 or 500 doesn't exist in France. Make your choice with a french catalogue to get the real Selmer.

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

Does anyone know the difference between the Selmer AS300 and the Aristocrat AS500 or just AS500? my daughter is starting to play band and is a student and her teacher recommends we get Selmer AS300. A lot of teachers have favorites for beginners horns. I'm not at all familiar with that line, and can't seem to find any info. I'd talk to the teacher. there is an old thread about it here: www.saxquest.com//forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=12&ThreadUID=2197&PostUID=15763 sax_maniac said it's okay, and he's on the level.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

The difference is a couple hundred bucks IMO They are decent student horns IMO, I personally find the Yamaha stundent models better horns. You child wouldnt have problems learning on that horn at all. Good luck to them!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by treesfig
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for all your replies, i was concidring buying one on ebay...Just trying to be carefull of what i get..I heard if i get a bad one it will cost almost 700.00 to get fixed...treesfig

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Actually, if you get a bad one, it may not be fixable at all. Make sure there is a return policy if you intend to spend any significant amount on Ebay. Also, check with the local music store. Sometimes they have rental programs in which the entire rental amount applies to the purchase of the horn. They might do that only with new horns, or they might offer it with a used horn as well. It could even be transferable to another horn if the first is not to your liking. I know of a good place in South Dakota...!

Reply To Post

1. by selmerfan
            (67 posts)

18 years ago

Hey Sax Mom, are you referring to Taylor's? Just curious, I'm a SD homebody, did quite a bit of business with Taylor's when I was at SDSU, it helps that his daughter is the wife of my college band director... I hadn't checked out your profile previously, obviously a Lutheran pastor. I believe we've talked about this in the past, but I'm finally making the flying leap.....of faith and heading for seminary this fall at Wartburg. Money will be very, very tight, and I'm commuting from about 2.5 hours away, home on the weekends, leaving two girls (3 & 1) and my wife at home, but we're sure this will work out. selmerfan

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

Yep. Taylor's it is. I was in IA when I learned about them, from a band director who also went to SDSU. I now am in MN.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

Oh, and Methodists, Presbyterians, UCC, and even some Assemblies have female pastors, but you are correct, I am Lutheran.

Reply To Post

3. by selmerfan
              (67 posts)

18 years ago

It wasn't the female pastor thing, it was your favorite quote in your profile, making you without a doubt a fellow Lutheran! selmerfan

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

I'd forgotten I had put that in my profile!

Reply To Post

5. by selmerfan
              (67 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, it's there, my favorite Luther quote is "Next to the Word of God, music deserves the highest praise." I always wonder how many of Luther's quotes he actually said and how many are actually attributed to him inaccurately...but I also like "He who loves not wine, women, and song, remains a fool his whole life long." selmerfan

Reply To Post