Saxophone Forum

by jwaltb
(15 posts)
18 years ago

mouthpiece question

Since starting to play again, I was thinking that a good rubber/plastic mouthpiece might be easier for me to get used to and to control intonation, etc. with. Currently I'm using an Berg Larsen metal mpc that I like but it's fairly open (.105) so I started looking. I'm wanting something with a "round" tone that isn't too brittle sounding. I tried a Runyon 88 (4) - just got it in yesterday - but found the low notes to be too harsh sounding. Can someone suggest a mellower sounding mouthpiece? And am I right in my description of what the Runyon sounds like? Thanksk Jim B.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxplaya81
    (110 posts)

18 years ago

Re: mouthpiece question

go for the meyer man!

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

The runyon 88 I've described as a piece that pushes the upper limit on what you want for brighness from a concert piece, which I'm assuming you are looking for. Keep in mind, the harsh sound could also be your efforts to play low notes despite leaks in the horn. Are you talking about tenor or alto? I'm guessing Tenor since .105 is fairly open for it, but VERY open for alto (by my definition)

Reply To Post

1. by jwaltb
      (15 posts)

18 years ago

Hey thanks for the feedback. I'm playing tenor. Not sure if I understood you but I'm looking for something NOT so bright. I tried the 88 due to price mainly. I didn't think it would be as bright as it was. From what I've read it seems like folks like the Otto Link or Meyer, but they're the same manufacturer right? Is there that much of a difference in sound between them? JB

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

People usually prefer Otto Link on tenor and Meyer on alto...but some people go against that=) I've never played a meyer and otto link side by side on tenor, but on alto I found the otto link stuffy and out of tune while the meyer was a lot more free blowing...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jwaltb
          (15 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the Otto Link or maybe a Bari as from what I've read it's pretty mellow as well. Do any of you have a preference between those two or info that'd help? JB

Reply To Post

2. by jwaltb
          (15 posts)

18 years ago

Well, thanks to the WWBW liberal return policy I've taken the plunge and ordered an Otto Link 6. The salesperson I spoke to seemed to think the OL was "darker" sounding than the Bari. We'll see what happens.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

18 years ago

Good choice. The Link has a larger chamber and promotes a more open embouchure. Babbitt finishes their pieces a bit haphazardly, so if the one you get isn't quite right, don't give up - trade it in for another.

Reply To Post

4. by jwaltb
          (15 posts)

18 years ago

So far this one seems to be fitting the bill. I'm getting used to the different shape (as compared to the metal mpc I was using) and am enjoying the tone so far. Thanks for the advice.

Reply To Post