Saxophone Forum

by jont
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Newbie parent of sax player

My son has signed up to play the alto sax next year. The school recommends either a Yamaha yas23 or a Selmer AS500. I know absolutely nothing about a sax (I am working to quickly learn though). I've checked pricing on the web and they see to run in the $1200 to $1600 (ouch) range. How much should I expect to pay and are these models what I should be looking at? Just trying to get more information before I purchase. Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by musicman_horton
    (19 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Newbie parent of sax player

Being a junior high band director, I alway think that the student should rent for at least 6 months or so before they go out and buy. This is good because: 1. Should the student decide that they don't want to play, you're not out a lot of money 2. Some stores will actually apply what has been paid in rent towards the purhcase price of the instrument. That being said, I would go with the YAS-23. They just seem to last longer, much longer.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

18 years ago

Most music stores offer an instrument - rental plan, not requiring you to purchase a horn until you can see that your son is going to stick with it Best Regards Mactenor.

Reply To Post

3. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Both great horns in great supply on Ebay, buy used save a bunch. Try to find a newer one (less then 5 years old) no major dents or soder points. Small dings are fine. When you get it take it to the local music shop for him to check it out. The checkup should be under a $100 for most simple maintenance. Enjoy your savings and make fun of the parents that bought a new horn on credit. hahaha. I would buy the YAS 23.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by selmerfan
      (67 posts)

18 years ago

Be careful on Ebay, you don't always get what you see, it's hardly the be all, end all of market places. I'd suggest talking with some area directors, often times families will have horns they want to sell and will let the directors know. Otherwise, check out the marketplace at www.saxontheweb.net. There is no reason to buy a NEW YAS-23 or any other student horn for that matter, there are plenty of them on the used market. selmerfan

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

My friend bought a YAS-23 when we started on ebay for $600, I bought mine new and his horn is just as good as mine. Mine even has a few leaks in it after these past 5-6 years and his doesn't, yet he plays his more than I do...So ya never know=)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

I would avoid ebay. Either of those models could cost you about four hundred dollars, plus shipping, plus another few hundred to get it in playing condition, maybe more. Don't let any of this discourage you as there are more affordable ways than paying full price for new student horns. You can save the big expense for a professional horn if he sticks with it until college. Try these places: www.junkdude.com/saxes/saxophones.htm Junkdude has some used student horns, maybe of the type recommended. You could email him to see what he has to offer. I have bought from him before and he's honest, and others have had the same thing to say. Kessler music has a tremendous reputation. www.kesslermusic.com/html/saxophone.html He may be able to get you what you need. Good luck and feel free to ask questions! :)

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

not that this is any safer than ebay, but check craigslist.org I see a few horns posted around this area (minneapolis) and I would assume other people are using it as well. also check local shops for local repair people, sometimes they (as well as people on here) do projects on the side and fix up horns to sell them cheaply. (or less expensive than new) good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

I was reading my local Craig's List: richmond.craigslist.org/msg/176432545.html Maybe you can get him to go to 500+ shipping? I have no information about that listing, I just figured I would pass it along.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jont
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for everyone's help. We were able to purchase a used Yamaha YAS23 for $500. It is in excellent shape with only some normal wear and tear and one very small dent.

Reply To Post