Saxophone Forum

by jwaltb
(15 posts)
18 years ago

intonation through the scale

Hey all you knowledgeable people - I have yet another question to pick your brain with. I find that the middle C on my horn - with all the keys open except the C on the upper stack - is pretty flat, but when I play a D - with all the keys closed - the horn goes way sharp. It's an older Buescher Elkhart if that helps. Is there some kind of adjustment that would help with this? I just had it repadded so could it be that some of the pads aren't opening big enough or maybe closing right? Thanks, JB

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KactuSax
    (21 posts)

18 years ago

Re: intonation through the scale

JB. First let me tell you that I am by no means an expert. You may want to have your horn checked for leaks etc. but that middle D is a naturally sharp note on the sax. it is almost 20 cents sharp naturally, incase you don't speak "cents", that's a lot. If you haven't already you should sit down with a tuner and play each note on the horn notating it's natural tendencies. After awhile you just know what notes are sharp or flat and can adjust accordingly. Hope that helps.

Reply To Post

1. by jwaltb
      (15 posts)

18 years ago

Re: intonation through the scale

I had someone else tell me pretty much the same thing. It does help. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm trying a new mouthpiece this week (for different reasons). In the process I'll look to "adjust" as you suggest and see if I can get worthwhile results.

Reply To Post