Saxophone Forum

by barisax999
(400 posts)
18 years ago

yamaha necks

i heard from somebody that the yamaha G1 necks were no good and severely messed with intonation. is this true? and if so, to what extent?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: yamaha necks

I've got a YTS-82Z with a G1 neck and the intonation is definitely better than the neck that came with the YTS-23 that I traded in for it. Its intonation is also at least as good as (and mostly better than) the half dozen other saxes I tried when I bought it (Nov. '05)...

Reply To Post

2. by syrasax
    (75 posts)

18 years ago

Just wondering, how is the intonation of a sax isolated in just the neck?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

Intonation depends on right lengths, volume of the bore at various points, and such. It's not isolated just in the neck, but having an improper neck can screw up tuning for the reasons above (and more, i imagine)

Reply To Post

1. by matsuo
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

I heard that the original G1 necks where a little short so intonation got funky.

Reply To Post

2. by saxtribute
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

I have a custom z alto which plays horribly out of tune. I believe the horn is fine and so is the mouthpiece so I think is the neck. On my tenor, which is also a custom z, the tuning isn't a problem. I have contacted yamaha and they said they will send me a M1 neck which apparently plays more in tune.

Reply To Post