Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
17 years ago

Yas-62

Ive been lookin at the Yamaha YAS-62 Alto's lately. It looks like a good model for me for the future as apparantly they have a pure tone (which i like). Has anyone else got any oppinions on them?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Yas-62

A pure tone is not merely the product of the horn. The set-up will also have something to do with it... however... The most important factor in producing a pure tone is the player. Practicing to develop control and flavor is essential. An accomplished player can produce a pure tone on almost any quality horn--unless, of course, I'm not understanding what you mean by "pure tone."

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Steve Goodson - the SaxGourmet - elsewhere in this forum mentioned that the Japanese horns tend to be made with a harder brass alloy (higher ratio of zinc to copper) to yield a bright tone. Evidently they think that is what is wanted today by most consumers. If I was buying a new horn, I would seek one out with a higher copper content in the alloy. Personal preference. Just to check - Do you feel like the older Selmers like the SBA and Mark VI yield a darker or more lush tone than what you mean by pure? Have you heard a 1940's King Zephyr or 1950's King Super 20? How pure is that tone to you? How about a 1940's or 1950's Conn 6m(Alto) or 10M (Tenor)? If you think that a recent Yamaha intermediate model has the sound you prefer, I have heard that they are well made now and easy to maintain. Plus, you can get a nice used one for maybe $1200-$1500 versus the $3000++ of a vintage Selmer. If you have a private teacher - ask him. If not, why not? - - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
      (48 posts)

17 years ago

Donnie: Im only a beginner (been playing for 1 year), so I havent herd maney different saxes.... and if U have I wouldnt know which are which. Perhaps I should start listening to various saxophonists

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Excellent idea. When I was new to playing, I listened to recordings of great bands and soloists over and over and tried to learn enough to play along. Most importantly though - I took private lessons from the start. If I had not had these, I never would have achieved the level of proficiency that I was able to with lessons. From what I remember or was told, Zoot Sims' tenor was always a Selmer with an old rubber Brilhart mouthpiece. His initial pro horn was a Cigar Cutter/Super Sax from the early 1930's. He still had this horn - or one like it - in Sweden in the 1980's evidently. Stan Getz played a new Mark VI around the Girl from Ipanema period (1966 model?). Obviously he started on something else. Gerry Mulligan played a Conn baritone. There is some sketchy info around as to what different pros played - some references to this on this forum. Paul Desmond evidently usually played a Super Balanced Action Selmer from the 1940's, I found out here, for instance. There is a page on the website of The Lamont School of Music at Denver University that lists mouthpieces and some horns used by various pros. Go to : - - - www.du.edu/lamont/Mpce.html For now, learn your horn well. I've been playing for 44 years and have had two tenors. My Mark VI is 44 years old. I've taken care of it --- learn to do this yourself. The Yamaha would likely make a fine horn for you - but most important is the work you'll put into whatever horn you have. Listen to what you can from the past. Take lessons and practice --- minimum of 1 hour a day. Start each session with breath control work. One of the most important elements of tone is breath control. If your air stream is weak, your horn will sound wimpy and potentially flat. - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

if you have only been playing for a year, i would reccomend holding off on a buying an expensive pro series horn. over the next few years you will evolve as a saxophonists and udoubtedly your taste will change. you still have to decide where you want to take your playing genre-wise. and your preference in horns will most likely change. dont get yourself in a pinch in the future buy going for a really expensive purchase now. experiment with all the horns you can. but i wouldnt recomend going all out now and closing your line of sight on horns. yamahas are very solid good horns no doubt. also, if you really like the 62, experiment with some other yamahas side by side with it. a lot of people prefer the custom series to the 62.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

17 years ago

The YAS-62 is their entry level pro horn. It really is one of the better pro horns for the money. However, I also urge you to try the Mauriats. At the same price you can get a really top level pro horn in the quality range of Selmer, Keilwerth, Yanigasawa and Yamaha Custom models. Just my opinion.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

In the late 1990's the Yamaha 62 was their top line pro horn. You can buy a nice one of these for maybe $1500-$1800. Swing is right tho - now they have the 82Z and others, which are their top line pro level horns - although the 62 is still available and still good. Later.

Reply To Post

3. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

17 years ago

I'm a big fan of the YAS-62 (and in fact play a first-run 62 alto for a lot of stuff . . . I also have a Mark VI alto, but reserve that for lead alto and straight ahead work). A number of my friends and colleagues who play Yamahas (for alto and soprano) actually prefer the 62 over the Custom or Z line horns, and I personally prefer the original 62 over the 62-II. They're a very versatile horn, consistent, and play well in tune. I bought my 62 alto brand new almost 20 years ago, and still use it for a lot of the alto work I do.

Reply To Post