Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
17 years ago

Mp for Pure Tone

Does anyone know what kind of mouthpieces produce a nice, pure tone? (not dark or edgy)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Mp for Pure Tone

Link HR or, better yet, Morgan.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Yes - the Ralph Morgan hard rubber pieces are good. You should also check out the Spinger handmade - but not overly pricey - mouthpieces. Website is : www.springermpc.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

One more idea would be the excellent mouthpieces made by Fred Rast - (www.rastmusic.com). If you don't mind paying $235 for a hard rubber mouthpiece - he has one piece modeled after the early Babbitt Otto Link pieces that might be exactly what you're after : easy low notes, clear as a bell altissimo and no coloration that I could tell. Now I was not playing it personally - a friend was trying some pieces out and I was supposed to help judge. I hope the Rast was one he kept, because he'll start thinking he needs something else and I'll buy it used! - - Later.

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
        (48 posts)

17 years ago

Cheers for the advice you guys. Donnie: Can you give me anymore thaughts or opinions on the springer mouthpieces? I dont like to buy an expensive mp before playing it.... but the springer is a very reasonable price so I would make an exception if I thaught it would be ok.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Tubby- Go to www.springermpc.com and read the comments/reviews there for more opinions than mine. The Springer is my new favorite hard rubber piece. You can correspond with Patrick about tip sizes or specific models before you order. There might be the possibility of return for a slight charge. But if you'll e-mail Mr. Springer he may have a recommendation that makes sense for you - read the site. I've been somewhat involved in dance/big bands and Patrick Springer played in the North Texas State Lab Band in the 1980's and was recommended to me from someone there as a good mouthpiece maker. Ralph Morgan, Fred Rast and Phil Barone I also know to be among the group of today's caring mouthpiece makers. I'm sure there are others. - - - - Good Luck and let me know which one you settle on.

Reply To Post