Saxophone Forum

by Saxyboy
(52 posts)
17 years ago

New Metal Mouthpiece

Greetings Sax Players. I'm new here but not too new to music. I've been playing for 15 years, part-time pro for 10. My horn is an old 1960 Mark VI Tenor. Here's my question - Does anyone have any sugestions? My first mouthpiece was a Selmer Soloist C* hard rubber. When I got in an oldies rock band, a guy told me I should get a more open piece. So I got a Selmer F hard rubber. For the next 9 years I didn't know any better, but kept hearing that I needed a metal mouthpiece from other sax guys. So recently, I got a lightly used Phil Barone New York brass #7 mouthpiece. It's a good thing I tried it off the bandstand. I've played it only about 25 minutes. It's hard to hit the low notes and generally takes too much air. I tried Vandoren #2 1/2 and #3 and LaVoz medium and medium hard. Now my expensive new mouthpiece is in a drawer instead of in my horn case. Do I sell it, try other reeds, or what? Any other ideas? Thanks everyone.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmachine777
    (57 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Metal Mouthpiece

I can't be sure, but to just throw an idea out there, is the mouthpiece sealing? I had an old alto mouthpiece that wouldn't seal correctly, and it caused similar problems to those that you're describing. My other suggestion would be to try a Vandoren of the same strengths but a JAVA, ZZ, or V16. They all have shorter, broader hearts (which you probably know, but I thought I'd drop in there for information's sake), so they might vibrate better against a PB7 opening/facing setup. Hope to help. It'd be a shame to have to lose such a mouthpiece. On the other hand, if it's not a mouthpiece problem and it is just that your and the mouthpiece's styles don't mesh, I'm sure there would be no shortage of demand in this crowd.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Metal Mouthpiece

lots of players have a similar problem with their first metal mouthpieces. A few of my advanced students will order one and hate it, but i tell them to stick with it and let themselves adjust for a few weeks. After they've adjusted to it(which is mostly things you will unconsiously do) you'll be hooked and not want to part with it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM