Saxophone Forum

by AHoffert
(4 posts)
17 years ago

Alto Metal Mouthpiece

I'm looking into buying a metal mouthpiece for alto and I was curious if anyone had any opinions for what the best one(s) out there are? Yes, I know I have to go try out a few myself, but I'm looking for other opinions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Alto Metal Mouthpiece

I've heard many suggest sticking with the hard rubber for alto, but I'm not sure the reasoning behind that. Anyone?

Reply To Post

1. by landrusax
      (44 posts)

17 years ago

By far most alto players play on hard rubber pieces. This is because they have a warmth that metal doesn't. When you use a metal piece on Alto the tone will be very bright. But if you are looking for a bright smooth jazz sound (Dave Koz) this could be what you are looking for. I prefer rubber pieces because they always seem to have more rich qualities than the metals. I suggest you try out a few hard rubber and metal pieces to see what I mean. Good luck.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

17 years ago

Tenor is a bigger instrument and has room for the added brightness. Sometimes I put my old C* on my tenor and it sounds so quiet. Alto is voiced higher and the added brightness isn't needed. It's like EQ on a singers voice. You go with the frequency that enhances the voice most. I DO have an old selmer metal classic mouthpiece. This is the model Fred Hemke was using when I studied with him. It is great for something like Baker Street where the high notes need edge, but not tinniness. Physical size and voicing is what caused the demise of the C melody horn. It just doesn't have a good sound. Fred told me that the new selmer metals are not the same. If you can find an old classic, go for it. I use selmer c*. selmer metal, oringinal meyer 5, and richie cole meyer model. Good luck to you :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Saxon
        (100 posts)

17 years ago

If you want to try a cheap metal mpc try aquilasax.com Jam, you need to listen to the latest C mel recordings. You can't judge a sound by the name attached. You have to judge by the lips attached.

Reply To Post