need advice

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by morphis
    (5 posts)

17 years ago

Re: comuting to school with tenor

i have to take my tenor to and from school every day i need to know if a gig bag that i could use like a back back would be better then my regular old rectangle case. ps would it be safe for instrament?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

17 years ago

a young musician should never ever put there horn into a gig bag if they want it to stay nice. Horns come in for repair just because they were stored in bags all the time. They arent considered a repairman's special for nothin if you want somthing more compact, look into a protec. Its more of a gig case, and offers protection a gig bag doesnt without the weight of a regular case. it also has backpack straps for easy carrying

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by landrusax
        (44 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with definition. Don't use a gig bag, its way to easy to get your horn damaged. The protec cases are good, I would look into buying a lighter formed case in any event. SKB used to make a cheap and light case.

Reply To Post

1. by thelittlemarchingone
          (50 posts)

17 years ago

As someone who commutes with a tenor, clarinet and sometimes a sop every day, it really is best to use hard cases. It's a little heavier to lug around, but if someone kicks your case, or steps on it, anything like that, it can stand it. I used a gig bag for my alto back in middle school and it was horrible. The SKB cases are REALLY nice, I would recommend those. They're also very fairly priced...

Reply To Post

2. by saxmachine777
          (57 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with all opinions here. I commute to my classes on foot, so I experience similar difficulties. I can't stress enough that while hard case is top priority, make sure to get something with a shoulder strap. It'll relieve you of that hand switching every block. I don't know why I went so long carrying my horns by hand.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

For me, it was because I didn't know there was an option! (Maybe there wasn't 25 years ago...) My sister and I walked to school together, and I carried my tenor in one hand and her alto in the other, and she carried all the books. I learned not to forget my gloves in chilly weather...

Reply To Post

4. by Queen_liz
          (5 posts)

17 years ago

I totally agree that gigbags=baaaad try a bam softpack case - its a lot lighter than hard cases, but made with a hard but flexible shell and lots of moulded foam, the idea being that it abosords the shock of impact. It also comes with a shoulder strap - its the way I manage to lug my tenor around all over the place; a bit expensive, but well worth the money!

Reply To Post