Saxophone Forum

by Piecemakers
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Key trouble

I have a Yamaha Alto Sax about 1 1/2 years old and I've been playing about 2 years now. The problem I am having with the forefinger, middle finger, ring finger on the left hand #'s 1, 2, & 3 get very wet. So wet that the pads will bleed color. Sometimes it will happen right away and sometimes after 1/2 hour or so and then I can go a couple of weeks without it happening. This does not seem normal to me. Got any help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Key trouble

The moisture generally comes from your mouth. If you've recently eaten (especially sweets) or had a sweet drink (or alcohol), your saliva glands will be working overtime, and more of that will be blown into the horn. Often, it will come out around the keys of the left hand. First, try not to eat and drink just before playing. Secondly, you can open up the left-hand palm keys and try to blow at the openings to try to get some of the moisture out. Also, be sure to swab the horn after each use, to be sure you are not leaving moisture inside the horn during non-playing times. That can degrade the pads quickly.

Reply To Post

1. by Piecemakers
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you for your help - I'll watch what I eat and see if it makes a difference. Doug

Reply To Post

2. by Ronish
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

I read what you advise Sax Mom and I run some drying pull thru`s thru my saxes after play but I doubt they accomplish much. If you have a lot of moisture and your left hand becomes wet (as mine does) then the pads must be soaking. I can`t see that "Pad savers" and pull thru`s can possibly dry them. Most pads are closed & you would have to open each key pad and insert drying paper or something and no one is going to do that each time. So I wonder if this cursory drying we do is a waste of time.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

When you put your horn away after playing - the dryer you can get everything, the longer it will last. Yes you should dry each pad as well as possible. Run a swab through the neck and mouthpiece. Tie a weight to a long cord and a proper sized piece of silk (or ?) to the other end and run it through the body. Let the reeds dry before putting them away. This whole thing takes 4-5 minutes when you get used to it. Take the time! - - - - Later.

Reply To Post

1. by Ronish
          (8 posts)

17 years ago

What I do is that I don`t recase my sax, I leave it on its stand covered with a cloth and I play it maybe for 3 short periods during the day. I`ve given up cleaning after each play and settle for one on the last toot. I`m not saying more learned sax players are wrong when they advise spending time to remove all the moisture after playing but I`m left with the question on how destructive is it? How soon to repad if you never dried wet pads? I`m interested because I`ve never seen any time frames on this.

Reply To Post