Saxophone Forum

by syrasax
(75 posts)
17 years ago

Tech check

I have a YTS 62 and it's not quite two years old. While technically the horn was used when I bought it a year and a half ago, it had not seen much playing. I took it to a local tech that was recommended to me by my teacher to check for leaks and refine the action. I'm having no problems at all but I was wondering if there is a prevailing wisdom about regular checks with a tech and if so, how often? Also, when I first got it I thought the action was a little loose so I had him make it tight and now I'm thinking if I take it in I'd like to have him lighten it up a bit. Is there any danger in causing damage if the action is changed periodically? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Tech check

Routine checks are definately a good idea. Before I learned to make a lot of adjustments and repairs myself, I would take my horns in to have them checked at least twice a year. Occasionally tweaking the action shouldn't be a problem for most quality horns. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Tech check

I take my horn in about once a year just for a checkup. Then I take it in other times for specific probelms. I think unless your think your work is better then your repairman having him check things is worth it. I took in a clarinet I just bought that I thought all the pads looked pretty good on the top end, I mainly just wanted him to replace the bottom ones which I thought look ready to replace. He found 4 on the top that needed replacement too. He did the work for a reasonable price and I initially though it was too much work, but when I played it after he did, I was like wow, what a difference. My point is, a yearly checkup might turn up things you didn't even notice. of course make sure your repairman is not a used car salesmen and finds things that don't exisit. But finding a good repairman is another thread....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM