Saxophone Forum

by joonil1986
(11 posts)
17 years ago

Selling a Never been used Tenor Harrison Ligature.

'lo all. It's come to the point that I'm actually selling it. It really hasn't been touched since its creation, I bought it, cleaned it, oiled it, and put it away. You'd probably have to break it in a little., Too good to be true? Well my selling price is steep, since I bought it myself for an unreasonable sum (please don't ask), but its still negotiable. If you want pictures, feel free to e-mail me. Oh yeah quick Description: Gold Harrison Ligature for Tenor saxophone hard rubber mouthpiece. Handmade by Harrison himself, not any of the imitators after his death. One tiny blemish on a brass screw handle, but nothing else. serial number too faded to read. Never ever been played on.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by joonil1986
    (11 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Selling a Never been used Tenor Harrison Ligature.

Welllll... I guess in reality it doesn't make a huge difference in sound. Me, I'm one of the types that, the longer I play, the more sensitive about my sound I get. It's like, after a while, no matter how much you practice, your sound stops improving, that's when you try experimenting with all this gear and before you know it: no money in your wallet... heck no more wallet completely. ^^;

Reply To Post

2. by Christian Anderson
    (73 posts)

17 years ago

what's so special about it?......and on a side note, you'e just cluttering up space by posting the same ad on three forums. Esspecially since there is a trading post for this sort of stuff.

Reply To Post

1. by joonil1986
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

Hmm. Well let me list down some of the details: *They're hand crafted ligatures by a man famous for his workmanship. Plus they were made in an era where saxophone equipment was actually better than today's stuff. Companies harp on about how they're so laser precise about they're manufacturing process, but when your dealing with a vibrating column of air, you MUST fine tune the equpment for optimal sound... Harrison, and many other makers of the era did this. That's why vintage items are so sought after. *The ligature gives a very... ahh, how do I say this, balanced sound? Well lets put it this way, if the Olegature gives you a super bright sound and a Rovner gives a dark sound, than this thing will give you a mellow sound, but not stuffy like the Rovner, or tinny like the Olegature... well, the Olegature's not tinny, but you get the idea. Really it's this particular sound that people really look for, and sometimes spend years of their life trying to achieve. Plus, it's articulation and response is excellent. I know 'cause I played on an Alto Sax Harrison lig until it broke off at the edges of the "H." *Most of the Harrison Ligatures on the market today are all used. I really do believe I'm the only guy around selling this thing new. I mean really. I think its one of the only Harrisons in the U.S. right now that really hasn't been played on yet. Yeah. That's about it. And I posted on three different forums 'cause I'm trying to sell the thing and get a little food for rice. Can you blame me?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

17 years ago

"Yeah. That's about it. And I posted on three different forums 'cause I'm trying to sell the thing and get a little food for rice. Can you blame me?" yes, it's still annoying. One post in one area is fine, most of us look though all the forums anyway.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

"if the Olegature gives you a super bright sound and a Rovner gives a dark sound, than this thing will give you a mellow sound, but not stuffy like the Rovner, or tinny like the Olegature... " Maybe it's just me but I've found ligatures play a VERY little role in what sound comes out. As for me I'm happy with any ligature that can hold a reed on a mouthpiece :-)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I knew one girl that used to wrap some kind of waxed string around and around. I couldn't imagine how it would be tight enough, but it seemed to work...

Reply To Post

3. by Christian Anderson
          (73 posts)

17 years ago

I have a pyne ligature for clarinet, that is made out of string that has been woven. it works great, and actually does help with my tone. they seem like a hidden gem in the clarinet world, although i don't know how it would sound on a sax.

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Waxed string...ancient chinese secret.... Wonder how long it takes to do that...

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Seano
          (132 posts)

17 years ago

On the contrary, Count, while I've found ligatures make only a small difference in tone, I have found that ligatures help projection. For example the ever popular Francois Louis Lig... try it out.

Reply To Post

6. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Will do=) I got one, just never used it much...

Reply To Post AIM

7. by joonil1986
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Welllll... I guess in reality it doesn't make a huge difference in sound. Me, I'm one of the types that, the longer I play, the more sensitive about my sound I get. It's like, after a while, no matter how much you practice, your sound stops improving, that's when you try experimenting with all this gear and before you know it: no money in your wallet... heck no more wallet completely. ^^;

Reply To Post

8. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Well, I happen to love my sound :-) I don't need to experiment more, I sound like me :P

Reply To Post AIM