Saxophone Forum

by ryker888
(1 post)
17 years ago

mouthpiece help

I am in the market for a new moutpiece and I was hoping for some imput. Right now I'm playing on Yamaha 62 II with a C* . I'm looking for a mouthpiece that gives very dark tone.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: mouthpiece help

To get a dark tone with a bright toned Japanese horn ? I guess you'll want to stick with hard rubber. How about sending an e-mail to Patrick Springer and ask him which of his models might suit you? He got right back to me on a question. He makes fine hand finished pieces at reasonable prices. Go to : www.springermpc.com - - You might also check out Fred Rast at www.rastmusic.com and Ralph Morgan at www.junkdude.com (and elsewhere). Jody Espina at Jody Jazz might be of some help too. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with the Jody Jazz. The upside with them, however, is they include a spoiler in most packages that can make the sound much brighter. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

2. by slimsaxman
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

I play a Yamaha 82 Z tenor with a Vandoren Java mthpc. and have plenty of dark tone. (Several other players with various horns have said the same.) I don't know how much of the tone is the horn and how much is the 'piece, as I bought them together and haven't tried other combinations. I've actually been thinking about trying some different 'pieces in an effort to get a little brighter tone for some situations.

Reply To Post